Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You can be the change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Don't you see? It was demanded by the fan base.

I am reporting this here (originally posted in the Recruiting in April 2016). It is still as valid today as it was almost a year ago, and as we all know, not one thing on this list is even being discussed. I think this is a reasonable plan, with achievable goals...of course, you need a leader more interested in growing the program than she is her own ego.

The plan for growing the program cannot be simply one of "winning games and recruiting locally". That just makes you the best in a weak conference, and you are still 1 bad game in March away from no NCAA bid.

The plan must be bigger and more far reaching that that. I would suggest the following:

1. Develop a plan to make continued improvements regarding conference affiliations.
      1. Approach the MVC about moving to it, probably with Valpo. This makes the Valley a 12 team conference that now includes another major metro area (Milwaukee) and another IN program (Valpo)
      2. Be ready to move up from the Valley if the opportunity presents itself, similar to what Butler did moving to the Big East. When an opportunity comes along, you need to be ready to take it. Such a move may no be required though, given the programs that would be in the New Valley.

2. Immediately add men's and women's hockey. This will quickly become a third revenue generator along with baseball, (see #3) and relieve pressure on the Basketball program to hold up the whole department financially.
    3. Improve the profile of baseball to a level befitting the only D1 program in the state.
      1. Aggressively partner with the Brewers up to and including using Miller Park for spring home games instead of the current month long road trip to start the season
      2. Develop and implement the plan to have a true home field at the Rock
      3. Improve marketing to at least the level of the Lakeshore Chinooks. It should be an embarrassment that we are out marketed by and have lesser facilities than the Chinooks.

All of this needs to be planned and discussed with donors in advance, asking for their input, advice and support long term to see this plan through to fulfillment, rather than following the current approach by the Athletic Department which seems to be "Give me your money and shut your damn mouth. I am smarter than you."

All of which means the very first step....Step Zero if you will....is to fire the complete clown of an Athletic Director we have now, along with her lackeys, and bring in someone that can direct this effort, and will commit to seeing it through in the long term. That begins to put out the Dumpster Fire on Downer (TM) and repair the relationship with the booster community.
    Class of 1998
    Lubar School of Business - BBA Management Information Systems
    Formerly known as Nighthawk
    The Dark Hawk arose in a time of great turmoil to fight for truth, justice and the Panther way.

I love it! Do you think that Paul Plinske would ever consider coming here after being turned away twice?

This is where I begin to think that we really need a new chancellor.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanrocks View Post
    I love it! Do you think that Paul Plinske would ever consider coming here after being turned away twice?

This is where I begin to think that we really need a new chancellor.
    I know the feeling. I'd be willing to settle for a new AD at this point.

Mark Mone may be quite competent in terms of advocating for a stronger partnership between the school and the community and keeping the various departments well-informed of policy, but he's failed miserably when it comes to staying in touch with our flagship athletics program, men's basketball, which must drive all else here.

I have all but given up the ghost on this whole mess. The Chancellor doesn't care....he strikes me as another "I hate the jocks" ivory tower type that sees athletics as dirty, filled with and followed by "the stupid people", and beneath an "institution of higher learning". I think he would be just fine with being a nerd factory with no sports at all. Furthermore, the Regents don't care, therefore the Chancellor is under no pressure to do anything, anyway. The AD is therefore a perfect spot for social engineering, and favor granting, since it isn't something Mone gives even one crap about, much less two.

Let's just face facts....we all went to a University that had it's all too brief moment in the sun under Pearl, Bud, and Nancy....and now that is over. Now we are trying to compete with Cal Tech....and Mone would probably be happier if we got our own "Big Bang Theory" style nerd show where the characters all worked at UWM...and the basketball team was about as good as Cal Tech's, too.

I will now light myself on fire.
    Class of 1998
    The Dark Hawk arose in a time of great turmoil to fight for truth, justice and the Panther way.

Wow! How do you like a post on here?!?!

Sadly.....the future of the Milwaukee Panthers looks more like this:

http://www.gocaltech.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/schedule

than this:

http://butlersports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball&

Ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to present to you the Mone Vision for UWM Athletics, as implemented by Amanda Braun:

Class of 1998

In fairness, by all reports Mone stepped in to the last hiring process and drove the decision to hire Jordan. Nothing wrong with that. His failure was in letting it ever get there. His continuing failure is in letting the department be "run" by someone that the Milwaukee athletics/fan/student athlete community can never, ever trust -- for very good reason.
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast