Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Crean be Coaching Next Year?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Parrish said that LSU has contacted him. May not be a bad landing spot.

I guess I don't understand why people feel he should take a break. He's a coach. We have coaches that coach well into their 70s.
    He has a family that he has dragged around the country the last 20 years. He has made a ton of money. He just got fired. He's extremely high strung and likely his body and mind could use a break. I remember the evaluations Buzz got done on his body and the results he shared that the stress of the job was taking on him.

Maybe Crean is different, but coaching at Indiana and their whack job fans likely takes years off your life. It's not like he was coaching at Mount St. Marys.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    He has a family that he has dragged around the country the last 20 years. He has made a ton of money. He just got fired. He's extremely high strung and likely his body and mind could use a break. I remember the evaluations Buzz got done on his body and the results he shared that the stress of the job was taking on him.

Maybe Crean is different, but coaching at Indiana and their whack job fans likely takes years off your life. It's not like he was coaching at Mount St. Marys.

I really don't know his health situation at all so I can't really speculate. And as for dragging his family across the country, he has moved twice since 1999. Once from Michigan to Milwaukee, and from Milwaukee to Indiana.

I think LSU would be a great job for him. Better coach than they have had, so his in game coaching will actually be an improvement.
    Will not be expected to win the SEC and NCAA tourney every year or get canned.

He's the perfect coach to either right the ship with a program or resurrect one. LSU would be a perfect gig for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    He has a family that he has dragged around the country the last 20 years.
    20 Years...I'll go with 22 as that is the age of his oldest child... In 22 years he has moved twice, both a short distance to neighboring states. Two of his three kids have only moved once. That is not exactly dragging your family around the country.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    20 Years...I'll go with 22 as that is the age of his oldest child... In 22 years he has moved twice, both a short distance to neighboring states. Two of his three kids have only moved once. That is not exactly dragging your family around the country.
    Fine. Can we say he has traveled himself much of these years on recruiting trips and games? Does his family ever go with him to the away games or other trips? Has he missed many family moments due to the job?

My point is that the job of a college head coach is very difficult for all involved. High rewards of course and I don't feel sorry for them. But it can be tough on the home life and it wouldn't be the worst thing in my opinion to take a step back for a year finding the best fit for his career and family, rather then just what is available.

But I highly doubt he will.

At least two of his kids are college age or older now. One daughter would be a senior in college this year, one son ready to go to college and play baseball (probably not at Indiana any more). Not sure about the third.

I see what you say about stepping back for a year, but when you are 50 years old and likely want to prove your old employer wrong, I'd think you take a job.

He takes family members on trips all the time.

While at MU he would often just take one kid with him to an away game. As soon as they would get to town - they would take off on their own and do things just the two of them. I have seen it happen. He has always made sure that he spends quality time with his family.

Same thing with Buzz. he would travel through anything to make sure he got home every night. Couldn't believe I would see him at an event and then three hours later he would be at a high school game on the West Coast, and be in the gym for practice at 6:00 the next morning, much of which was to make sure he was there when his kids woke up.

Wojo is no different.

These guys are not wired like us. They live on 4 hours of sleep and spend every minute of every day doing something, and while it may seem like they are never home, they make up for it every chance they get.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

There is no discussion to be had here. If LSU or someone else, offers him a 7 to 10 year deal worth $15 million to $30 million guaranteed, he will take it. Of course it would be nice to take a year off etc, etc. The lure of that kind of money, even though he is already quite wealthy, is too much to pass up. This is guaranteed money versus an uncertain future.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    There is no discussion to be had here. If LSU or someone else, offers him a 7 to 10 year deal worth $15 million to $30 million guaranteed, he will take it. Of course it would be nice to take a year off etc, etc. The lure of that kind of money, even though he is already quite wealthy, is too much to pass up. This is guaranteed money versus an uncertain future.
    Would agree.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast