Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Crean be Coaching Next Year?

He gets $4M to NOT coach....

VS

Very likely he cut a deal to take something less--$2-3 million and is allowed to coach without a setoff. Otherwise, II, II is encouraging him not to coach. Likely a non-disparagement clause and, perhaps, limitation on coaching in Big Whatever for the upcoming season.
    Last edited by Gato78; 03-18-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

I think he coaches somewhere, even though he should take a break. Have heard these guys always fear about being away for a year and somehow becoming irrelevant the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I think he coaches somewhere, even though he should take a break. Have heard these guys always fear about being away for a year and somehow becoming irrelevant the following year.

Parrish said that LSU has contacted him. May not be a bad landing spot.

I guess I don't understand why people feel he should take a break. He's a coach. We have coaches that coach well into their 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    Was told by an NFL Assistant Coach who was out of work for a year that in football (college or pro), you have to have a job the 2nd year or you likely won't be back. Basketball is likely similar. It's a competitive industry, but it is harder for an assistant to sit than a head coach. Crean could do some tv work for a year or two and still be in head coaching discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Parrish said that LSU has contacted him. May not be a bad landing spot.

I guess I don't understand why people feel he should take a break. He's a coach. We have coaches that coach well into their 70s.
    Yes, it's not like he is poor. An LSU job will do him well. Maybe not 4 million or whatever negotiated buyout. So what at those $$$$$.

Over the past 18 years, Crean has made, what, $40-50 Million. I would hope that he wouldn't be looking for a pay day but for a situation that gives him the best chance to win.

What kind of job do people think that TC is going to get? I think we might be overestimating how in demand he would actually be. LSU might be the best job he is offered.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    What kind of job do people think that TC is going to get? I think we might be overestimating how in demand he would actually be. LSU might be the best job he is offered.
    I don't see it happening at this point. The NC State and Illinois jobs filled up quickly. I do not see Crean settling for anything other than a major conference job, and I do not think there are that many of those available, or that he would necessarily be a candidate for some of them. He is not the kind of guy who is going to go rebuild the program at Sam Houston State or something like that. And I believe I read somewhere that there is indeed a set-off, so he would not actually make anything to coach anywhere else, or at least his earnings would be limited. I also do not see Crean taking an assistant position somewhere else. I do not think his ego would allow it. So perhaps a year of broadcasting or just counting his money. Or perhaps a year or two as an NBA assistant. Those jobs always seem to be available for former big school college coaches.

He's better off on tv for a year because he is visible to recruits. Plus he can talk to schools that might be thinking about creating an opening. Basically, do the Urban Meyer.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast