Thread: Delgado

Delgado

Here's why I'm pessimistic about today's game; it can be summed up in one word - Delgado.

Delgado has improved dramatically during the season since we played SHU. He has begun to look to score as a primary option instead of as a complementary (third) option. He has developed some moves over that period that he didn't have - or at least didn't use - before.

I know Hart won the MVP for the conference, but Delgado has had 17 double-doubles in 18 conference games, and both his scoring and his rebounding have gotten almost out of sight over his last several games.

He has also shown the ability to draw fouls, so he gets to the line frequently.

And that's where I think we have a problem because both Luke and Matt have issues with fouling. Heck over a four-game period Luke averaged only about 13 minutes a game because of foul issues. If I am SHU, I am pounding the ball inside to Delgado on each possession and trying to get Luke and Matt out of the game. If/when that happens, we have no one who can guard the post.

So, what do we do? I am thinking that Wojo will automatically double Delgado every time he touches the ball and force him to give it up.
    This is what UW's opponents started to do when Happ got the ball, and both his stats and, more importantly, the Badgers, started to go South. UW has lost something like four of its last five games, and its offense has been much less effective.

Of course you give up something if you double Delgado. Against SHU that means that Carrington and Rodriguez - as well as Powell - might be open for threes. Plus Rodriguez and Carrington are very active off the ball and can slash to the hoop for lay ups off Delgado passes, especially since our rotations this year have been slow/late.

It will be interesting to see what Wojo's approach is today. If we play Delgado straight up, I think he kills us. I'd rather take my chances on doubling him.

I guess it's kind of like when MU played Kentucky right after UW lost to the Wildcats. Bo refused to double the post and got toasted. Then Crean doubled the post the next night, and MU came away with the upset.

We'll see soon enough.

Here's why I'm optimistic about this game: PW is pessimistic about this game.

There has been a pattern, in general, anyway. I do try to keep the pattern going.

You are the man PW!

So with PW pessimistic due to Delgado, that could indicate Delgado may very well get into foul trouble.

I sure hope MU has a few guy on their game from beyond the arch.

Unfortunate that PW was right this time.

Certainly helps that Angel gets an extra step or two every single time he gets the ball in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    Certainly helps that Angel gets an extra step or two every single time he gets the ball in the post.
    Dude hasn't planted a pivot foot in his life.