Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Garrett, Jr - DePaul

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Quite a few here disagree fwiw

And they're wrong. Look, he is 44th in the conference in efficiency - tied with Sam Hauser. The only regular Marquette players ranked below that are Heldt and Cheatham. All three of those players are going to get better IMO than Garrett is.

JuJuan Johnson, who everyone (including myself) gets on at times for lack of senior leadership, is a better player than Garrett is. Not even close. Better shooter, more efficient, turns the ball over less...

I can't figure out for the life of me why people think he is a good player. He accumulated a bunch of stats on a crappy team because he has a bunch of crappy teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    And they're wrong. Look, he is 44th in the conference in efficiency - tied with Sam Hauser. The only regular Marquette players ranked below that are Heldt and Cheatham. All three of those players are going to get better IMO than Garrett is.

JuJuan Johnson, who everyone (including myself) gets on at times for lack of senior leadership, is a better player than Garrett is. Not even close. Better shooter, more efficient, turns the ball over less...

I can't figure out for the life of me why people think he is a good player. He accumulated a bunch of stats on a crappy team because he has a bunch of crappy teammates.
    Whatever.

Whatever.

So in other words, you got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Sure, and it's largely because of antiquated stats models and one layup at the Bradley Center. Others disagreeing doesn't change my opinion that Garrett is garbage.
    Alan, are you related to Lilian Bykowski?

So in other words, you got nothing.
    Uh, no. Garrett and Cain were the only reason DePaull hung with a lot of teams this year. Teams like MU heavily shaded them and won easily. The eye test!! Screw your stats. Duh Pul is just bad and drags down guys like Garrett. Is that so hard to understand?

Uh, no. Garrett and Cain were the only reason DePaull hung with a lot of teams this year. Teams like MU heavily shaded them and won easily. The eye test!! Screw your stats. Duh Pul is just bad and drags down guys like Garrett. Is that so hard to understand?

Just because he is the best player on a bad team, that doesn't make him a good player - much less an exceptional one. And yes, you can have good players on bad teams. Tony Smith is a great example - and his stats blow Garrett's out of the water.

As always, you need to check your eyes. They need help. Because again, if he WAS a good player, you could SHOW me something. And you can't.

Just because he is the best player on a bad team, that doesn't make him a good player - much less an exceptional one. And yes, you can have good players on bad teams. Tony Smith is a great example - and his stats blow Garrett's out of the water.

As always, you need to check your eyes. They need help. Because again, if he WAS a good player, you could SHOW me something. And you can't.
    As I said, WHATEVER. I suspect that Jay Wright would have been very happy to have had him along with every other BE coach.

I doubt it unless you are talking about a 8th or 9th guy.

When you are high usage players like Garrett and Cain, and are 10th and 11th on a bad team in eFG%, you simply aren't good players. There is zero evidence to suggest otherwise. At least I can SHOW you evidence to back up my assertion. You simply cannot.

Sultan, why bother to play the games if stats are the only measure? How did we ever beat Villanova? By your measure, since Jerel McNeil is our all time leading scorer, he is better than Butch Lee and Jim Chones and Dean Meminger. Of course stats don't tell the whole story. Nukem is right, Billy Garrett Jr. is damn good.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Sultan, why bother to play the games if stats are the only measure? How did we ever beat Villanova? By your measure, since Jerel McNeil is our all time leading scorer, he is better than Butch Lee and Jim Chones and Dean Meminger. Of course stats don't tell the whole story. Nukem is right, Billy Garrett Jr. is damn good.

No Jerel McNeal isn't better than those guys. When have I ever said that someone who scores the most is a program's best player?

And no, Nukem isn't right. Billy Garrett isn't that good - he is in fact quite average. I have evidence that at least backs my case. You have nothing except your eye test - and I don't think he is really all that good when watching him. He is simply the best player on a bad team.

And by the way, your phrase "why bother to play the games if stats are the only measure" is nonsensical. If you don't play the games, then stats don't exist. And stats don't tell you everything, but they tell you a lot more than the eye test tells you.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast