Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, I admit it...

OK, I admit it...

As great as the current Big East is (especially with a true round-robin), I miss the 16 team Big East Tournament. It was so awesome to head to NYC on Monday, then sit and watch 15 games Tuesday - Saturday. It was incredible to see the interaction amongst the fans: the obnoxious arrogance of Cuse fans, the inbred WVU fans, the pleather jacket-wearing Louisville fans, the haughty Georgetown fans, all complaining how Tim Higgins and Jim Burr hates their school (when we all knew it was really Marquette they had it in for). I loved having 3 days of all days hoops before the electric semis on Friday night when the NYC "important" people showed up. I loved the reactions of the NYC folks the first time they saw the Louisville, Cincy and especially the South Florida dance teams. Yes, I even miss walking all the way up to Times Square at about 1AM to find a cab after watching the 6 OT game between UConn and Cuse.

Yes, the current Big East Tournament still has a special feel. But God help me, I do miss the 16 team version so.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

When you think about the teams that left, Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Cincy, those are/were all big names. Those added to the draw in a major way. I know a woman who is taking her 7 year old son to the tourney this year because he is a big Creighton fan. When she told me all I could think was, "Thank God Syracuse, Louisville & WVU aren't there anymore or that woman and her son would be in for some big surprises."
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    When you think about the teams that left, Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Cincy, those are/were all big names. Those added to the draw in a major way. I know a woman who is taking her 7 year old son to the tourney this year because he is a big Creighton fan. When she told me all I could think was, "Thank God Syracuse, Louisville & WVU aren't there anymore or that woman and her son would be in for some big surprises."
    First year in the revised Big East, Gato turns to me and says "Cuse fans would have eaten these Creighton fans alive"
    - Abraham Lincoln

I know it is important for the Big East to be close to selling out The Garden with the ACC wanting to get in.
    Any idea how ticket sales are for the tourney this year?

Let's not forget the great St. John's fans. A couple guys behind us (MU not playing) were St. John's fans and yelling and swearing at the refs. I am not kidding, turned around after hearing this for a while and it was a father-son combo and the kid was like 11 or 12 years old.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    I know it is important for the Big East to be close to selling out The Garden with the ACC wanting to get in.
    Any idea how ticket sales are for the tourney this year?
    IIRC, attendance was great for last year's tournament with the championship game being a sell-out.

I liked Gato's story of the, was it a Syracuse fan after they won?

Guy walking up steps in aisle after his team won - fan from opposing school says, "Great game Syracuse." Without missing a beat or turning his head, the 'Cuse fan replies, "F You!"
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    As great as the current Big East is (especially with a true round-robin), I miss the 16 team Big East Tournament. It was so awesome to head to NYC on Monday, then sit and watch 15 games Tuesday - Saturday. It was incredible to see the interaction amongst the fans: the obnoxious arrogance of Cuse fans, the inbred WVU fans, the pleather jacket-wearing Louisville fans, the haughty Georgetown fans, all complaining how Tim Higgins and Jim Burr hates their school (when we all knew it was really Marquette they had it in for). I loved having 3 days of all days hoops before the electric semis on Friday night when the NYC "important" people showed up. I loved the reactions of the NYC folks the first time they saw the Louisville, Cincy and especially the South Florida dance teams. Yes, I even miss walking all the way up to Times Square at about 1AM to find a cab after watching the 6 OT game between UConn and Cuse.

Yes, the current Big East Tournament still has a special feel. But God help me, I do miss the 16 team version so.
    I tell you what I miss...I miss MayorBeluga writing in the third person. Especially his reports from MSG written in the third person. Oh the good ole' days!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoone2inchesTaller View Post
    I tell you what I miss...I miss MayorBeluga writing in the third person. Especially his reports from MSG written in the third person. Oh the good ole' days!
    The Mayor is likely going back to the BET next year, so perhaps Hizzoner will return to said practice.

Good times for The Mayor and his constituents, indeed.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast