Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horizon League Tournament

Horizon League Tournament

This year's Men's tournament is a classic example of why the metaphor "madness" is popularly applied to college basketball tournament games.

Kudos are due to Coach Jordan and the Men's team for getting to the conference semifinal. Everybody got their tickets to cheer the Panthers on at the Final Four? 🙄

The Women's bracket has played out closer to expectations, but the Panther women have a semifinal date with a Green Bay team they have already beaten once this season. It will take an effort like yesterday's quarterfinal win over Oakland to get to the final, but it seems less unlikely than in previous years.
    A panther is like a leopard. Except it hasn't been peppered.
    Should you behold a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch."
    Better yet, if called by a panther...don't anther (Ogden Nash "The Panther")

Ceterum censo Amanda Braun debet esse accensa.

I think today is going to be very enjoyable.

Take Amanda out of it and just enjoy the Madness.

I think today is going to be very enjoyable.

Take Amanda out of it and just enjoy the Madness.

I'm happy for our players and coaches, but I think that the real story is how far the Horizon League and its tournament have fallen in such a short period of time.

Remember when the HLT was the envy and template of all other mid- and low-major leagues ... two years ago! Now, it's the biggest logjam anywhere, with teams unable before games to even dribble a ball on the court on which they'll be playing!

Once they skim beyond their understandable excitement, I know for a fact that my friends on the other board feel the same way.

Perhaps a Milwaukee-Youngstown State final will get the league's administrators to reverse course once the present contract is over and never repeat this folly again.

Go, Panthers!
    Last edited by dylanrocks; 03-06-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Conference is locked in for three years. Gotta make the best of it.

I'm going to go for sure next year because I wanna see the new arena. Whether or not I go this year depends on tonight's result.

Conference is locked in for three years. Gotta make the best of it.

I'm going to go for sure next year because I wanna see the new arena. Whether or not I go this year depends on tonight's result.

I am on record as to the disaster that is the new HLT format. And that's totally independent of the fact that the Joe Louis might be the worst major arena in the entire midwest. Honestly, the tournament would be SO much better off at the Fort Wayne Coliseum. (And btw Jimmy -- last I heard the new Detroit arena will struggle to open by next year.)

As for this specifc tournament I am very worried by what may transpire the next few games. If we lose either game LJ will be an abject failure who can't win the tournament when it's right there for the taking.

If we win the next two games he deserves utterly no credit because it will be a complete fluke.

That, at least, is exactly what the deadenders always said about RJ, and I know they will want to be intellectually consistent this year. Poor LJ can't win with these "fans" (and a certain over-her-head AD)-- just like Jeter never could.

P.S. -- dylan is on the money here. A potential pairing of Milwaukee or UIC against YSU will draw fans by the dozens for the nationally televised final. Yet another Horizon League humiliation harking back to the infamous Loyola-UIC game in Cleveland that our idiot administrators seems to have erased from their memories (or never knew, in the case of a certain over-her-head AD). If I was Lecrone I'd be praying mightily for NKU. They might at least bring a couple busloads of students.

Incredibly, the actual attendance for this year's HLT must be a small fraction of what it was last year. Just like the program run by a certain over-her-head AD.
    Last edited by BBF; 03-06-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

UIC apparently had the biggest official contingent.

So if UIC plays NKU in the final are you predicting the actual paid, in person attendance could reach 2,000 people?

Or to put it another way, about 1/5th of the crowd that the HLT Final would certainly have played in front of this year at the Arena?
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

Twenty minutes, guys! Keep shooting, Brock!

The good news on attendance is that we have half of the "crowd." The bad news ... is that it's 10 people!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast