Thread: Three Point Shooting

Three Point Shooting

During the broadcast of the past two road games the announcers have mentioned Marquette leading the country in three point percentage. Each time I hear this it stops me, I know MU is good from three, but best in the nation good?

MU has had years where you didn't trust anyone to shoot the three. Sure we had Novak & Diener, but even the Amigos weren't a for-sure-shot.

Looking at it MU is 42.8% from three to lead the nation. That is a stat MU hasn't been up in for a long time.

Now here is where it gets a bit odd. What is the criteria for stats on the NCAA website?
    Markus Howard leads the nation in 3pt % with 55.6%.
    They show no one else from Marquette in the top 50, yet...

Rowsey is 45% which would be tied for 10th
    Hauser is 44.1% which would be tied for 16th with Matt Thomas

(I'll leave Traci Carter with a score of incomplete as he would be at 23rd)

So why are Rowsey and Howard not on the list? I would guess that it is lack of a certain number of attempts, but Rowsey has more attempts than Howard and Hauser, while fewer than anyone on the list, is only 6 attempts shy of Howard.

So what gives?
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    During the broadcast of the past two road games the announcers have mentioned Marquette leading the country in three point percentage. Each time I hear this it stops me, I know MU is good from three, but best in the nation good?

MU has had years where you didn't trust anyone to shoot the three. Sure we had Novak & Diener, but even the Amigos weren't a for-sure-shot.

Looking at it MU is 42.8% from three to lead the nation. That is a stat MU hasn't been up in for a long time.

Now here is where it gets a bit odd. What is the criteria for stats on the NCAA website?
    Markus Howard leads the nation in 3pt % with 55.6%.
    They show no one else from Marquette in the top 50, yet...

Rowsey is 45% which would be tied for 10th
    Hauser is 44.1% which would be tied for 16th with Matt Thomas

(I'll leave Traci Carter with a score of incomplete as he would be at 23rd)

So why are Rowsey and Howard not on the list? I would guess that it is lack of a certain number of attempts, but Rowsey has more attempts than Howard and Hauser, while fewer than anyone on the list, is only 6 attempts shy of Howard.

So what gives?
    Says it right at the bottom of the page

Min. 2.5 made per game
    Players must play in 75% of their team's games

2.5 makes per game seems high to qualify. Rowsey is at 2.17 per game. He would need 7 makes tomorrow to qualify.

Good God am I having a day. I looked those pages up and down trying to find anything, and saw nothing. Then there was Minnesota instead of Iowa. Then there was... I need a break.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

* To qualify, a player must be on pace to play in 75% of team games and average more than 2 three point attempts per game.