Thread: It takes a village

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All I'll say on this matter is that this most recent episode is the final straw for me until something changes at the top. I've grown exhausted of the well-chronicled, institutionalized antipathy of those in academics toward athletics, especially men's basketball.

One of the many, most glaring examples is that it took the school 31 freaking years to induct Larry Reed into the athletics hall of fame. Look it up. Now look up Larry's accomplishments with the program and beyond. He is exactly the type of player whose number or at least his jersey should have been hung from the rafters on Senior Night of his last year. Not only is his jersey still not retired, but neither is anyone else's. Not one. In 120 years of the sport. Larry's omission for all those years while others from so many lower-profile, individual sports is mind-blowing.

In short, it's taken me 25 years -- much longer than many others -- to receive the message, but I've now received it in spades: this school doesn't give a damn about having a great men's basketball program.

And judging from the attendance numbers and absent any organized movement, it's evident that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
    Last edited by dylanrocks; 02-17-2017 at 05:28 PM.