Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UConn still exploring joining the Big East

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    "Group of 5" schools have really no chance at the CFP. For many of these schools, it's about the FBS level money. UMass, BYU and Army are also the other independents besides Notre Dame. New Mexico State will be an independent. (I believe in 2018).
    The best shot the "Group of 5" have at a FBS playoffs is if or when the college football playoff is expanded to 8 teams from 4. Only then could I see this happening.

The problem UConn will have is many of the top 5 conferences have now gone to 9 game conference schedules, leaving just 3 non conference games. Many play one non conference rival or schedule a made for TV neutral site game, with the other two games being 'buy games'.

Very hard right now for an independent to fill up a schedule.

Gonzaga is able to continually play hoops at a high level and get national exposure, UConn should be able to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Short term it is fine. Long term they don't find it sustainable.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4494020-1...big-12-says-no
    That link is them wanting to get into the Big 12. Well, as of now the Big 12 will stay at 10 schools. So, BYU is better of as an independent than join the Mt. West.
    March Madness starts in November

That link is them wanting to get into the Big 12. Well, as of now the Big 12 will stay at 10 schools. So, BYU is better of as an independent than join the Mt. West.

OK, I see what you are saying in terms of a parallel.

I would like to see UConn join and go to a 20-game double round-robin conference schedule. However, as an article earlier in the season pointed out, there would have to be a "gargantuan exit fee" to go along with them joining. An amount that would make it practically unbearable to leave. If UConn doesn't like it, then the Big East doesn't want them.

I really like our conference as it is right now.

To consider adding UConn it would have to mean more money for each school from a TV deal standpoint, and I'm not sure UConn would bring much added money from the TV folks.

Is FoxSports going to give the Big East something like $10 million or more per year just to add UConn? There just isn't that much money in college hoops TV, especially for a school like UConn.

I'm also not sure why UConn thinks they can just join the Big East if they want to do so.
    Message for UConn, the Big East is doing pretty well without you, and if you were to want in it is up to the Big East, not up to UConn to decide.

I'm ok without UConn and the current round robin format.

Well, in 2013 it was reported that if the Big East went to 12 schools, it would jump from $500 to $600 million in the TV deal.

Going from 18 to 20 conference games in a HUGE plus for any network. In the case of the Big East, that would mean 20 less crappy non-conference games on FS1, FS2, FSN.
    March Madness starts in November

Well, in 2013 it was reported that if the Big East went to 12 schools, it would jump from $500 to $600 million in the TV deal.

Going from 18 to 20 conference games in a HUGE plus for any network. In the case of the Big East, that would mean 20 less crappy non-conference games on FS1, FS2, FSN.
    ...and less high profile non-conference games. 20 confeence games are too incenstious IMO. You can still have an 18 game schedule with 11 teams. You don't have to play EVERY team twice in the same season.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    ...and less high profile non-conference games. 20 confeence games are too incenstious IMO. You can still have an 18 game schedule with 11 teams. You don't have to play EVERY team twice in the same season.
    Maybe fewer low profile NC games?

Over what period of time is the additional the TV deal? If it is 10 year deal, then the additional $100 million does not result in a change in per team income.
    I would really be hesitant to add schools to the conference if there was no more money for the existing schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    I really like our conference as it is right now.

To consider adding UConn it would have to mean more money for each school from a TV deal standpoint, and I'm not sure UConn would bring much added money from the TV folks.

Is FoxSports going to give the Big East something like $10 million or more per year just to add UConn? There just isn't that much money in college hoops TV, especially for a school like UConn.

I'm also not sure why UConn thinks they can just join the Big East if they want to do so.
    Message for UConn, the Big East is doing pretty well without you, and if you were to want in it is up to the Big East, not up to UConn to decide.

I'm ok without UConn and the current round robin format.
    Agreed. Adding UConn now does not excite me at all.

Furthermore, would UConn be in it for the long haul, or would they continually be looking to jet to one of the power football conferences?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast