Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UConn still exploring joining the Big East

UConn still exploring joining the Big East

http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/roth...ketball-heats/

"UConn will heavily explore joining another league in the offseason: The Huskies have battled injuries this season en route to a 10-12 record, but their overall cache as a program also isn’t quite what it was when they were operating in the old Big East. Kevin Ollie led UConn to a national title in 2014, but the Huskies’ brand still belongs on a bigger stage. Sources have told FanRag Sports that UConn has consistently looked into joining the Big East as a basketball only member as long as it could find another home for its football program....."

I would really like UConn in the Big East!!
    March Madness starts in November

And, Ollie won that title with Calhoun's guys. I would go for UConn and a 20 game schedule. But, they need to find a home for FB.

UConn could also go independent for football.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    UConn could also go independent for football.
    Sure, but it would be extremely difficult to fill out a reasonable schedule and a path to the playoffs. Even Notre Dame has a FB "alliance" with the ACC now.

And BYU is struggling with their independence as well. But it isn't impossible.

The problem is, I just don't know where else they could park football. The P5 conferences will have no interest. The AAC will tell them to pound sand. So then you are looking at conferences like CUSA (out of their geographical area) and the MAC (who booted UMass as a football only member last year.) Independence in the short term might be the best option.

But at the end of the day, I just don't think they will be able to have both BE membership and a viable football program.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Sure, but it would be extremely difficult to fill out a reasonable schedule and a path to the playoffs. Even Notre Dame has a FB "alliance" with the ACC now.
    "Group of 5" schools have really no chance at the CFP. For many of these schools, it's about the FBS level money. UMass, BYU and Army are also the other independents besides Notre Dame. New Mexico State will be an independent. (I believe in 2018).

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post

The problem is, I just don't know where else they could park football. The P5 conferences will have no interest. The AAC will tell them to pound sand. So then you are looking at conferences like CUSA (out of their geographical area) and the MAC (who booted UMass as a football only member last year.) Independence in the short term might be the best option.

But at the end of the day, I just don't think they will be able to have both BE membership and a viable football program.
    Agreed. To join the BE would probably mean FB would have to drop to a lower level. But, UConn is heavily invested in FB. Love to have UConn, but its probably not in the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    How so? There schedule has much more high profiled schools like Michigan, UCLA, Wisconsin, Miss State, Nebraska, Cincinnati, East Carolina. On ESPN much more.

BYU get around $800,000 and $1.2 million per home game -- considerably more" than the $1.3-1.5M the school earn annually from the Mountain West's television arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    How so? There schedule has much more high profiled schools like Michigan, UCLA, Wisconsin, Miss State, Nebraska, Cincinnati, East Carolina. On ESPN much more.

BYU get around $800,000 and $1.2 million per home game -- considerably more" than the $1.3-1.5M the school earn annually from the Mountain West's television arrangement.

Short term it is fine. Long term they don't find it sustainable.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4494020-1...big-12-says-no

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast