Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Marquette players of the last 30 years

Best Marquette players of the last 30 years

Discussion at Scoop that I thought I would bring over to get people's opinions on. Here is what I had.

First team: Wade, Deiner, Lazar, Miller, McNeal
    Second team: Crowder, Novak, Wardle, Key, James
    Third team: Smith, Matthews, Butler, McIlvaine, Hutchins

Only one year, but Henry needs to be in the discussion?

I originally had Henry listed, but I just don't think he had the impact.

First Team: Miller, McNeal, Wade, Crowder, Hayward
    Second Team: Diener, Wardle, Matthews, Novak, McIlvaine
    Third Team: James, DJO, Smith, Butler, Key

Had Henry a better team I might have included him. Only significant difference was DJO over Hutchins, otherwise cosmetic changes. One more year and DJO would've been our all time leading scorer. I believe only George Thompson scored more in a three year career.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Discussion at Scoop that I thought I would bring over to get people's opinions on. Here is what I had.

First team: Wade, Deiner, Lazar, Miller, McNeal
    Second team: Crowder, Novak, Wardle, Key, James
    Third team: Smith, Matthews, Butler, McIlvaine, Hutchins
    I'd switch Wardle and Miller. Brian played on crappier teams, but he was the better and more productive player over his career.

I think I'd also switch Crowder and Smith. Smith was very productive over 4 years while Jae was only here for two and really only had one great season.

I was going back and forth between DJO and Hutchins for the "final spot" too.

Best players or best careers at MU?

If I'm going best players then it's Wade, Diener, Crowder, Smith and Jerel.

2nd team Miller, Butler, Lazar, Hutchins, Key

Tough choices for sure

Man, look at the players on posters' lists, and the problem should be obvious.

There is not one high school recruit on that list since Hayward in the Class of 2006. Everyone on that list after that is a juco player.

During that period - from the Class of 2006 through the Class of 2013 (present seniors, plus Duane), we have had our share of Top 100, even Top 50, recruits, but none of them, not one is even mentioned on most of these lists.

Top 100 recruits: Cadougan (Top 50), Erik Williams, Maymon, Blue (Top 50), Jones, Jamil Wilson (transfer - Top 50), Anderson, Taylor, Jajuan (Top 50), Luke (transfer), Duane. If we want to stretch the list, we can include Sandy Cohen in the Class of '14, and we can add Reinhardt (Top 50) even though he's been her for only one season.

Not one of those guys panned out into making the lists above. Not one. Maybe three years from now Markus and/or Sam will make such a list. I doubt Haanif will, but who knows?

Sad!

But it explains our recent and present woes. Not one high school kid in the past decade on these lists. Ugh!
    Last edited by Phantom Warrior; 02-03-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Buzz has long been maligned (well, by me at least) as a terrible high school recruiter. Davante was by far his biggest overachiever. Did anyone else even meet expectations?

I think in 5 years, Howard and Hauser will both have a shot to make this list.

By the time Blue was a junior, he did. But that's about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast