Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tweet from Mike Broeker

Tweet from Mike Broeker

Marquette Athletics ‏@muathletics
    Reminder: It's against NCAA rules to tweet @, RT, or direct message recruits. Please leave the recruiting to our coaches. #mubb

I think what that was referring to, was that one of the committed recruits tweeted for MU fans to show some love for a recruit that recently visited.

A few season ticket holders took him up on that - Not a good idea.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

That reminder needs to be re-posted regularly.

What bothers me about it, is not this, but how many times you really see it out there. Facebook, Twitter....seems the larger the program the more it happens. I remember one in particular that bothered me, yet still cracks me up. It was a Duke? or UNC? guy. he was hitting up a recruit on Facebook. It was something like, "What up baller? We could really use your skillz at Duke/UNC. Come on baller, be part of the Duke/UNC? nation!

The reason why it killed me, is that I looked at the guy's Facebook profile. White guy, shirt & tie, mid 40s, married, a couple of kids.... "What up baller?" Yeah, your message is sure to draw him in.

Guilty, I will have to stop retweeting.

I don't think re-tweeting is an issue, it is the direct messages.

Then why did Broeker specifically say it was an issue in the original post?

Question someone here might know an answer to. What about JUCO and transfer recruits? Like Jameel McKay or Trent Lockett? They haven't enrolled at MU, but also don't seem like they'd fall under NCAA restrictions for high school players as they've already played college ball.

Until they are in school full time, they are still "prospects", or recruit-able athletes as far as alum/booster contact goes.

In the tweets I saw today, at least one person shad sent a message directly to the prospect. Not a re-tweet, but a "Hey I'm a season ticket holder" message.

So does that mean you can't tweet guys from opposing teams? Like when Jordan Taylor went crazy about how "Marquette still ain't "? Wouldn't any opposing player be a potential recruit? And while recruited here, it seems like per letter of the law, a Rodney Hood, Dorian Finney-Smith, or even Trent Lockett would fall under the same category as a Jordan Taylor.

All these Twitter rules seem very confusing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast