Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Floor rush

Not a fan of rushing the court. I think it's not only pretty silly, but it's also kind of bush. Reminds me of the shenanigans after a player scores a touchdown. Prefer the approach of been there before and will be there again.

But more importantly, I think it is really dangerous, not only for fans but also for players. I wonder how everyone would feel and what everyone would be saying if in the crush of the crowd one of our players would have been injured and had to miss a few games, let alone the rest of the season. Every time I see fans rush the court after a win, I don't care how big it is, I think how foolish it is, that the risk just isn't worth it.

Call me an old fogey or old fart, but I view rushing the court as lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Not a fan of rushing the court. I think it's not only pretty silly, but it's also kind of bush. Reminds me of the shenanigans after a player scores a touchdown. Prefer the approach of been there before and will be there again.

But more importantly, I think it is really dangerous, not only for fans but also for players. I wonder how everyone would feel and what everyone would be saying if in the crush of the crowd one of our players would have been injured and had to miss a few games, let alone the rest of the season. Every time I see fans rush the court after a win, I don't care how big it is, I think how foolish it is, that the risk just isn't worth it.

OK Phantom, you are an old fogey and old fart.

I have posted this many times before, but the students at MU have never been in school while MU was a NCAA tourney team. They don't know the excitement that guys like me in their 50's and guys like Gato who was a student in 77 have had going to MU games. This was their signature game. The game that shows them how much fun MU hoops can be. The game that makes them consider buying tickets after they graduate.
    Storming the court is a life time memory for those students. They will be talking about it at their reunions, and hopefully will lead to more students coming to games. My high school student was with me and he looked over and I said, get down there and he joined the crowd. It was a pretty orderly court rush and a heck of a lot of fun watching it all.

Of course court rushing is not just for students as I saw Gato and Warrior O'Malley down there too. Novak taking pictures with students, just a great celebration and a reminder why we love college hoops and MU basketball and how much fun it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post

Well, it was a rather orderly rush. This old fart enjoyed the moment at the BC. Can't ever remember that many fans sticking around the whole venue for so long after a game other than the 2003 win over Cincy to wrap up the CUSA title on the way to the final 4 (but that was also Senior Day ) as well as that Blue & Gold game against Wisky when Al went up on the table drawing that fickle finger.
    Last edited by Nukem2; 01-25-2017 at 10:05 AM.

I have been an MU fan for a long time. Not as long as some of you, much longer than others. Storming the court...

• 2017 - Bradley Center - MU beats #1 Villanova
    • 2003 - Bradley Center - MU beats Cincinnati for CUSA title
    • 1995 - Arena - MU beats USF in OT to go to NIT Final Four
    • 1981 - Arena - MU beats #5 Notre Dame on 1/2 court shot at buzzer by Doc Rivers

Now there might be more, but MU has not exactly had a lot of court storming.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

As good from a historical standpoint MU's program has been, this was the first time we ever beat the #1 team in the country on our home court.

I think I do have to disagree with Homer though. Last night he called it the greatest regular season win in MU history. I would say the Cincy game in 2002-2003 season that won the C-USA title was bigger, simply because it meant more than just knocking off #1. I wonder what his opinion would be if say MU was 6-12 coming into that game and then won..obviously would mean almost nothing because even with the win, there is no way they'd make the tourney. No way am I diminishing last nights win and what it mean(it was HUGE), but I still think the CUSA clincher has to be considered bigger in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    I think I do have to disagree with Homer though. Last night he called it the greatest regular season win in MU history. I would say the Cincy game in 2002-2003 season that won the C-USA title was bigger, simply because it meant more than just knocking off #1. I wonder what his opinion would be if say MU was 6-12 coming into that game and then won..obviously would mean almost nothing because even with the win, there is no way they'd make the tourney. No way am I diminishing last nights win and what it mean(it was HUGE), but I still think the CUSA clincher has to be considered bigger in the grand scheme of things.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but if we're going by conference championships, then the win @ SJU at the garden to win the Big East in 2013 has to be the biggest. I know that Cincy was wayyyyyy better than SJU, but a Big East title >>>>> a C-USA title.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    Disagree with you. This is bigger, much bigger. It's the first big time win for Wojo and this team. Especially coming back against the No. 1 who had dominated MU for 75 minutes of basketball. This could get them to the next level. Confidence has to have gone up markedly with the past two victories. The players now realize what it takes.

When MU beat Cincy, MU had already arrived. They had beaten Wake and UW in the nonconference (both conference champs). Won at Louisville. Were at home and expected to beat Cincy. Cincy was not our main competition for the championship as they finished in the middle of the pack that year. They were simply the last team we had to beat. Beating Cincy was important, but it was also expected. This, was not.
    Last edited by MUMac; 01-25-2017 at 04:20 PM.

I posted before, President Lovell was on the court. If he is doing it, why shouldn't everyone else.

I get the injury thing and I know our players got caught up in the rush of students, but you also have to be able to enjoy these moments. My wife and I were as excited that our son got to experience something like this as we were about the win. It is something he will always remember.

Last night was the biggest, bigger than Cincy. We knew that 2003 team was good and had gone to the tourney the year before. Yesterday was a reminder of what our program can be. In 2003, we knew we were on the top-3 seed lines. Going into last night, some thought we weren't even yet a tournament team.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast