Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coaching move of the game

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Reinhardt was definitely fouled by Jenkins. And the problem with zone is that it won't work as our base defense. I don't think anyone has argued that it shouldn't be there as a wrinkle, but not for 40 minutes. Last night Villanova continued to get boards against the zone and got tons of open looks that didn't fall. It confused them, but if teams scouted us and had time to analyze it, they'd make us pay with threes and pass penetration. Nova missed their threes and didn't adjust well enough. I don't think it will work nearly as well if we see them again at MSG.
    I agree. Zones are more situational as a change of pace. Went longer last night once MU took Luke out as Nova kept shooting and missing 3s. Not going to work as a whole game thing.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    Wojo said that in that final huddle, he asked the guys if they wanted to go man or play zone. Players said they wanted to play man so that is what they went with.

r.
    I heard him say that for the first time at 4:35pm on Sirius XM 84. Pretty sweet interview.
    March Madness starts in November

Mind games by Wojo.....asking players for input.

Wojo said in postgame that they went man because they didn't want to let them shoot a three.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

the 1-3-1 served its purpose, which was to keep brunson from driving for layups, drives and dishes, or missed layups with easy follow-up tip-ins off of our help rotation with our backs to VU guys crashing the boards. The sole purpose of that zone was to make it harder to get into the lane and all the easy shots that resulted from penetration. You can't expect a team to shoot 20% from three but it's better than 70% they made the first game without the 1-3-1

It was a combination of confusing Villanova and luck. We were fortunate that guys like Bridges and Jenkins missed threes, but we also were letting their weaker three point shooters like DiVincenzo and Paschall to put up shots. I was glad to see those guys taking those shots because I don't expect them to knock them down.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123