Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coaching move of the game

Coaching move of the game

The coaching move of the game was not the decision to do a 1-3-1 zone, as some people on this board have been screaming for for weeks.

The real move was going to what I will call "medium ball". We went to the zone, but were getting killed on the weak side boards with Rowsey and Howard. Nova was all over us and we couldn't stop them on that. The move was when Howard fouled out, Wojo did not replace him with Rowsey. We went to a lineup of mainly 4 medium sized players + Luke, or went to 5 medium sized players with Sam in there for Luke. We started to rebound the ball better, which didn't give them 2nd chance points. When Nova's outside shots started to not fall, that enabled our comeback.

We have gotten a lot of production from Howard and Rowsey this season, and Rowsey had some good production in the 1st half. But, moving to the medium size ball was a big move that we really haven't done this season so far. I give Wojo big props for making that switch.

Great win!

Yes... only possible because Katin can play point guard.

What a game.....I am drained.

Well...Hmmm, I was one of the loudest advocates for this team playing zone, but as usual was told I was an idiot and it would NEVER work with this team...well lo and behold...Maybe I'm not so stupid after all. Great game, great win..what an atmosphere.

I thought our 1-3-1 had kind of a strange set up. At times we had three guys defending the player with the ball.

I was surprised that Wright did not put a player at the high post and try to get the ball to him at the free throw line.

Finally, no question it was a great win, but I doubt we will ever see Nova end up with Jenkins, Brunson, and DiVincenzo a combined 0 of 17 from behind the arc.

Then again, I think the odds of our shooting under 60% from the line again are pretty slim, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    Well...Hmmm, I was one of the loudest advocates for this team playing zone, but as usual was told I was an idiot and it would NEVER work with this team...well lo and behold...Maybe I'm not so stupid after all. Great game, great win..what an atmosphere.
    MU_Iceman, I was thinking of you when MU went to the zone(something I have also believed they should do more of). I guess Wojo was saving it for Nova. Its great to see new wrinkles; especially in second half's when other teams do not have the luxury to discuss at halftime.

The 1-3-1 is hard to play against if a team is not used to it. Last year, Holy Cross installed it for the Patriot League playoffs and won 4 straight road games (and an NCAA play-in game) because other teams were not prepared for it. Xavier also uses it, at times.

I have to give MU_Iceman his props (and MU Crisco, as well). Oh, and also to Wojo and his staff!

The point of my thread, though, was that it wasn't just going to the zone. More importantly, it was the mix of personnel he had running the zone. Early on, Nova was trashing our zone. Easy baskets down low, and lots of offensive rebounds and fouls, especially when Howard and Rowsey were on the weak side. When we went without a true point guard and had more wings of size in the game, and even going without a true big man for the last 5-6 minutes of the game, that is when the zone worked and we finally could get some defensive stops and make our run.

Certainly agree that going to the zone was a nice change of pace. But, even Wojo said that when it came to the last possession, they went back to man-to-man to seal it. Early on, though, the zone was not effective. We needed the right personnel to run it to really make it effective. That is where we also went away from what we have done earlier this year in terms of personnel combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by MUWhistler View Post
    The point of my thread, though, was that it wasn't just going to the zone. More importantly, it was the mix of personnel he had running the zone. Early on, Nova was trashing our zone. Easy baskets down low, and lots of offensive rebounds and fouls, especially when Howard and Rowsey were on the weak side. When we went without a true point guard and had more wings of size in the game, and even going without a true big man for the last 5-6 minutes of the game, that is when the zone worked and we finally could get some defensive stops and make our run.

Certainly agree that going to the zone was a nice change of pace. But, even Wojo said that when it came to the last possession, they went back to man-to-man to seal it. Early on, though, the zone was not effective. We needed the right personnel to run it to really make it effective. That is where we also went away from what we have done earlier this year in terms of personnel combinations.
    Going small helped a lot offensively as well. MU was able to keep driving at Reynolds who had 4 fouls. The zone looked better also as you point out.

With the 1-3-1 they were also trapping very high and out. Traps weren't coming at the 3 pt line, they were coming about 8-10 beyond. Made it difficult for their ball handlers as the open targets were in the corners.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I'm glad that Wilson was given key minutes last night. He was a key to our win, and I am really happy for him. That should really help him and the team going forward, as he is a leader on the team.

Coaching move of the game, I'd say Wojo not listening to Hamostradamus and keeping Reinhardt in the game going into the second half.

Coaching move of the game (or lack thereof) was Jay Wright letting his players continue to hoist up threes without bringing them in line. Seems like he wanted to prove a point to his team, namely, if you get away from the game plan, bad things can happen. A game like this should help Wright get his players attention over the next few weeks. I think Wright would have coached more aggressively if this game mattered.

BTW, MU's defense was just awful last night. We didn't win because we played zone. We won because Nova quit following their game plan and decide to shoot 15 threes in the last 8 or 9 minutes. They tore apart our 1-3-1 all night. Even in the final 10 minutes, most of their shots were wide open and uncontested. VU simply missed. I believe VU was 6-34 from three. At the ten minute mark, I think they were 4-19. To punctuate our defensive failings, we even gave up a fairly uncontested layup on VU's final possession.

Wojo's best adjustment was on the offensive end when he started to exploit VU's foul trouble. They ran the weave until they got right player, Hart, guarding the ball. As Mac pointed out in the post game, VU tried to give Hart help and it resulted in a either an open three (e.g., Hauser) or a foul. Exploiting a person with 4 fouls is not something MU has done very well during Wojo's tenure. So, it was nice to see.

Before the game, our group gave MU about a 5% chance of winning last night. After, we all agreed that we would have no more than a 5% chance of winning if the teams met again, maybe less since that game would not be at the BC. It was a nice win. But, we still have a very long way to go to consistently compete with the best teams in the country.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast