Thread: Marquette Prediction for Big East Conference

Marquette Prediction for Big East Conference

I think Marquette will finish in the Top 5 in the Big East with 10 wins and a number 10/11 seed in the NCAA Tournament. But to do this, Marquette has to get at least 2 wins in the first three games. Considering they are on the road against SH and 'Nova after tonight, the Georgetown game was a must win.

The SH game could tell us a lot. If the 'Quette steals a road game against SH it could be a sign of a very nice season for this young but talented MU team.

If Marquette doesn't win @SH in game 2, if will have to steal a game from a team projected in the Top 4 of the Big East and that will be a very difficult task, though not impossible.

Georgetown W
    @ SH W
    @ 'Nova L
    SH W
    DePaul W
    @ Butler L
    @ Creighton L
    'Nova L
    Providence W
    @ St. John's W
    @ DePaul W
    Butler L
    @Georgetown W
    Xavier L
    St. John's W
    @ Providence W
    @ Xavier L
    Creighton L
    @Big East Tournament (1-1)

Marquette Record Prior to Selection Sunday 20-12
    Last edited by DavidBoone2inchesTaller; 12-28-2016 at 10:22 PM.

We will see at least one or two upsets, hopefully more W's than L's.

VS

I would be pretty surprised if every conference foe was a sweep one way or the other.

Check that, I would be completely shocked.

I had broken things down this way in my mind.

Out of the "botton" 5 - Gtown, SHU, Providence, SJU and Depaul
    Sweep the home games
    Win two of the road games
    That gets you to 7 wins

Out of the Top 4 - X, Butler, Creighton, Villanova
    Win two of the home games

That gets you to 9-9 in the conference with a solid resume and puts us on the bubble, but possibly just short. There will be upsets as we could easily lose one of those games at home to SHU but maybe we can replace that with another road win somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post

Sweep the home games
    That gets you to 7 wins

That gets you to 9-9 in the conference with a solid resume and puts us on the bubble, but possibly just short. There will be upsets as we could easily lose one of those games at home to SHU but maybe we can replace that with another road win somewhere else.
    That's a pretty good formula. Think we can get to 11 wins as we go 8-2 against that bottom 5, and 3-5 against the top four. Think we get Xavier and Butler at home, and get one win in four chances against Nova and Creighton. Now, I could see us losing a game we shouldn't against a bottom team, and finish at 10-8 overall. Last night proved that our floor should be in 8-9 win range, a strong showing Sunday could indicate that we are more of a 10-12 Big East win team.
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post

Sweep the home games
    That gets you to 7 wins

I think that would leave us needing to win the Big East Tournament to get a bid. Maybe we'd sneak it by getting to the final and losing, but I doubt it. 9-9 and 18 total wins won't be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    That's a pretty good formula. Think we can get to 11 wins as we go 8-2 against that bottom 5, and 3-5 against the top four. Think we get Xavier and Butler at home, and get one win in four chances against Nova and Creighton. Now, I could see us losing a game we shouldn't against a bottom team, and finish at 10-8 overall. Last night proved that our floor should be in 8-9 win range, a strong showing Sunday could indicate that we are more of a 10-12 Big East win team.
    I think we are just too incosistent to get to 11 wins and maybe even 10 wins. 8-2 against those 5 is still a pretty tall order. DePaul almost beat Villanova and SJU alwasy gives us problems for whatever reason. We will lose more than two games against those 5.

3-5 against 4 teams in the Top 20 is a really tough job. I thought two might even be a reach.

Pomeroy projection is up to 10-8 now with the Georgetown win and Providence moving the other direction giving us a decent chance to sweep them now.