Thread: Coach K suspends the Tripper

Had to give him at least one game. My guess is they give him three. Next game is at Virginia Tech, which will be a challenge without Allen, but after that they have virtual cupcakes at home in Georgia Tech and Boston College. Make him sit three, everyone is content that the punishment was harsh enough, and at worst you go 2-1 and get Allen back for crucial road games at FSU and Louisville.

I'm guessing the suspension will last until Duke loses at least one, possibly two games.

VS

Dan Patrick had Coach K already slated for an interview yesterday and to Coach K's credit he didn't bail out and wait for the dust to settle a bit. It ended up being somewhat testy with Coach K being more than defensive in parts - claiming that he was unaware of G.A.'s temper tantrum on the bench until after the game and when asked by DP "What do you say to him when this is his 3rd kicking incident his first reply was "Dan, haven't you made the same mistake 3 times?". DP was just curious as to the approach a coach takes with a player in an situation like this. He DP called him naive. It was getting uncomfortable.

You can't deny his ultra-success, but I'm not really a fan and him and his all too often Father Flannigan persona.

I think one game is more than enough. Good God, there are guys getting the same punishment for acts of violence towards women, etc. This is heat of the competition. I think perspective is lost because it is Duke and the holier than though attitude of its fanbase--the most arrogant fanbase in all of sports.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    I think one game is more than enough. Good God, there are guys getting the same punishment for acts of violence towards women, etc. This is heat of the competition. I think perspective is lost because it is Duke and the holier than though attitude of its fanbase--the most arrogant fanbase in all of sports.
    I agree with this. If he played at Mizzou, it's not even reported or discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    What does one have to do with the other? Nothing. I'm not justifying acts of violence towards women, but this is a third-time offender who has repeatedly demonstrated what has to be considered either a complete lack of control or a deliberate sense of maliciousness on the court. He is putting other players at risk. What if the guy he tripped tore his ACL and MCL? Allen could have ended not just his season but any hopes of a career in pro basketball, whether here or overseas.

I'll always have a soft spot for what Allen did to Wisconsin, but let's be frank, the kid has repeatedly shown himself to have a complete disregard for the rules on the court, the safety of other players, and a lack of control over his own actions. If this was a one-time thing, fine, go for the one-game suspension. This is his third offense. He's had the chance to rehabilitate his behavior and has failed repeatedly to do so. I think anything less than 3 games isn't enough, and while I'd be surprised by more than 4, I'd have no problem with his season being over.