Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In the bleak midwinter

The guy can recruit!

Well, it says on his Whitewater bio that Chad helped recruit and develop 12 all-Horizon League players, including three first-team all-league players and six all-league newcomers.

But that couldn't be because we had a precipitous drop-off in talent level over the last decade-plus, right?

By the way, Scotty's 45-point outburst was the high-scoring effort in program history. It's a very proud history, too, with four national championships and two under current, widely respected coach Pat Miller. He's the one who hired Chad for the position.

Where's the buzz?

Pizzazz. Salesmanship. A new drumbeat.

Isn't that what was demanded when the previous cast of coaches and players were jettisoned in March?

Well, where is it? I don't see much of anything on the boards and I certainly don't see or hear any pulse at the games.

So what was the purpose of this exercise? I'm still struggling to find answers nine months later. Please help me with this.

Plummeting attendance

By the way, through five home dates -- exhibitions included -- the average announced attendance has dropped from 2,080 to 1,249, a 40 percent falloff.

That number is roughly 400-600 more than what the state's D2 and D3 programs draw. Dangerously close, in my opinion, given our history of flip-flopping levels.

There's considerable cause for alarm here, folks.

To even think that Scotty Tyler could produce those numbers in Division I is foolish. He is playing at a high level at the level he has the best chance of being successful in, and kudos to him for that.

I'm sure that Derek Rongstad will play at a high level at Whitewater as well, when he gets there. Boudreau knows what those guys can do. But let's not lump everyone on last year's roster who've left in the same boat as the starters. Scotty was not a D-1 starter (although he probably would be currently, with both Prahls out, but these are minor details).
    Last edited by MayorCK; 12-28-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorCK View Post
    To even think that Scotty Tyler could produce those numbers in Division I is foolish. He is playing at a high level at the level he has the best chance of being successful in, and kudos to him for that.

I'm sure that Derek Rongstad will play at a high level at Whitewater as well, when he gets there. Boudreau knows what those guys can do. But let's not lump everyone on last year's roster who've left in the same boat as the starters. Scotty was not a D-1 starter (although he probably would be currently, with both Prahls out, but these are minor details).
    Of course he wouldn't. The point is that he would be a significant contributor (and possible two-year starter) on what was set up to be a 20-plus-win team in a year that would have been Rob Jeter's last.

In short, the previous regime knew what it was doing in recruiting and on the bench and had built up considerable momentum over the previous three years, winning 55 percent of its last 100 games and 64.3 percent of its last 42 games (27-15) despite the APR ban.

The all-time program winning percentage is 52 percent. Things weren't bad here. In fact, they were pretty damn good. THAT's the point!

SO here we are....Preseason is over. Non-Conference is over. Conference season underway. Under our bold new leadership, how are we faring toward our stated minimum achievement of Sub 100 RPI and Top 3 in Conference?

As of 1/2/17:

RPI: 304 - That is only 200 places below expectations. In the land of Braun, this is acceptable, so long as Jordan continues to kiss her hairy butt on a daily basis and tell her she is smart, pretty, and loved.

Conference Standings: Last (Tied - 10 of 10 with Detroit, until they beat us too.) Again, fully acceptable under Braun.

Chances of Post-Season invite: We can only expect to be invited to the Inaugural LGBTQ....RSTUVWXYandZ and Friends SNOWFLAKE SAFE SPACE MICRO AGGRESSION FREE Tournament - Presented By Starbucks - in Portland, in which record is irrelevant, only proper hiring practices and percentage of LGBTQ....RSTUVWXYandZ employees in the Athletic Department are a qualification, and all mascots must be politically acceptable, completely non-religious in nature, and offensive to no sentient, semi-sentient, or non-sentient, life forms on this planet or any other. Scores will NOT be kept and everyone will be awarded a trophy at the conclusion of the "tournament"....there will be no champion.....WE ARE ALL WINNERS!!! YAY!!!!

And now we will hear all about how Jordan must have "time" to rebuild the program....a program that did NOT require "Rebuilding" at all, until it was imploded. And how much time will Jordan get? Probably 5 years, or until he dares disagree with Her Holiness, the High Priestess of Suck, Amanda Braun, at which point the measuring stick will be brought out of mothballs again and another staff jettisoned and we will "rebuild" again.

I am so proud of my University.

In the immortal words of Bill Simmons, I will now light myself on fire.
    Last edited by TheDarkHawkReturns; 01-02-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    Class of 1998
    Lubar School of Business - BBA Management Information Systems
    Formerly known as Nighthawk
    The Dark Hawk arose in a time of great turmoil to fight for truth, justice and the Panther way.

Before the ill-fated and ill-founded decision to move our games back to the KC in the summer of 2012, our AVERAGE RPI over the previous four years was 120.

After posting a No. 307 ranking in 2012-13 that mirrored the mood around the program and the facility in which it played, we miraculously recovered to post RPIs of 135, 201 and 171 the next three years, an average of 171. There were still 180 programs -- over half the schools in the country -- that were worse off.

Then a fire was started, the coaches and players were jettisoned, donors and fans were driven off and we're back over 300 for just the second time in program history.

Rob Jeter is gone; is the program now "fixed?"
    Last edited by dylanrocks; 01-05-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Let's keep up the bitching and moaning, guys. It's really accomplishing a ton.

The fact is Mayor your beloved joke of an Athletic Director killed a very good mid-major program. And you and the rest of your rainbow flag kissers are afraid to admit the truth. The program is now officially a joke and the fact is that no one cares. Apathy is the very worst thing that can happen. Ask the 2000 people who don't go to games now. There are only, and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, four or five people on the other chat room kissing each other asses and acting like you are proud of "Val" and where the program is? Are you on meth? I have NEVER met a coach in my 35 years of involved in basketball as either a college player, scout, ref or statistician who praised losing as much as 'VAL'. Praising the effort of loss after loss, and they still count MSOE as a win. That's a joke on its own. Your athletic director is an insecure, inept, paranoid twit who killed this program because of her personal vendetta with the previous staff. She wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for a certain US Senator, a testosterone - less chancellor and a overly fearful politically correct world that wants everyone to have a Coke and sing peace songs and hand out participation trophies. The fact is, you and all your 'supporters' (pun intended) are hypocrites as well, for this program is now below 300 in RPI and will never see 3rd place in a piece of sh-t Horizon League. Are you proud to be a Panther now? Maybe she can reach out to TJ again? Also ask your self, why are there only 3 people left, out of approximately 25 administrative staff people in the Athletic Department that are still there since she too over just three years ago?

Rainbow flag kissers? That's just offensive and doesn't add anything useful to the discussion. And for my part I have no interest in conflating the dire situation of our program with some larger "political" discussion.

Let me be clear. The problem isn't who anyone is. And at this point it's not even why they are in the positions they hold. The issue is whether the people administering our program are capable, and whether they acted in good faith. I believe the evidence is overwhelming -- and getting clearer by the week -- that our administration did not and cannot meet those standards.

Competence and incompetence come in all varieties of people.
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast