Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: In the bleak midwinter

It's important not to be misleading (as I know you were not intending). It's true that Milwaukee fired a coach "due to substandard performance." It just wasn't substandard performance by the coach, his staff or his players. It was by the administration doing the firing. In fact, "substandard" is really too nice a word for what happened.
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

It's just bizarre and sad to pick up the morning paper and see the once-proud Milwaukee program in dead last in the league standings.

We badly need an administrative overhaul!

Quote Originally Posted by dylanrocks View Post
    It's just bizarre and sad to pick up the morning paper and see the once-proud Milwaukee program in dead last in the league standings.

We badly need an administrative overhaul!
    I had a very interesting conversation with my dad yesterday morning. He is an alum and former student athlete at Arizona State (he brings it up every chance he gets) and likes to talk college sports. The very first words out of his mouth:

"WTF is going on with Milwaukee Basketball? There on the verge of being completely irrelevant and albatross to the entire university."

Thank you AB for making this conversation a possibility!

In trying to stay with the big picture, I'm very alarmed by what I see and hear from this most recent homestand, folks.

641?!?!

That was the ANNOUNCED attendance for Sunday's victory over YSU. I know that the NFC championship game started two hours after the opening tip, but 641 announced?

You would think that Friday's game against CSU would have drawn much better, given that it had no competition from the Packers, Badgers, Bucks or Marquette, right? So what was the attendance?

1,194 ANNOUNCED.

Our season attendance, which now stands at 1,279 per game, is a 50% dropoff from a year ago, when we drew 2,580. Alarming!

In fact, it's never rebounded from the year before the ill-founded (and seemingly purposely harmful) move to the Klotsche Center in 2012, when attendance was 3,498.

Previously, we had never witnessed anything quite so precipitous. To say that I'm concerned is a gross understatement.
    Last edited by dylanrocks; 01-22-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Oh, but don't forget....we're gonna win the league in the next two to three years, as they're predicting on the other board.

If consecutive victories for the first time this season can inspire such confidence, what can't this program do? I better start saving my pennies for the inevitable Final Four berth.
    A panther is like a leopard. Except it hasn't been peppered.
    Should you behold a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch."
    Better yet, if called by a panther...don't anther (Ogden Nash "The Panther")

Ceterum censo Amanda Braun debet esse accensa.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanrocks View Post
    In trying to stay with the big picture, I'm very alarmed by what I see and hear from this most recent homestand, folks.

641?!?!

That was the ANNOUNCED attendance for Sunday's victory over YSU. I know that the NFC championship game started two hours after the opening tip, but 641 announced?

You would think that Friday's game against CSU would have drawn much better, given that it had no competition from the Packers, Badgers, Bucks or Marquette, right? So what was the attendance?

1,194 ANNOUNCED.

Our season attendance, which now stands at 1,279 per game, is a 50% dropoff from a year ago, when we drew 2,580. Alarming!

In fact, it's never rebounded from the year before the ill-founded (and seemingly purposely harmful) move to the Klotsche Center in 2012, when attendance was 3,498.

Previously, we had never witnessed anything quite so precipitous. To say that I'm concerned is a gross understatement.
    If you were so concerned, you'd be showing up to games. I haven't seen you.

In the name of full disclosure, the two games this past weekend were the first I've not been to this season, so if Dylan decided to finally show up (which I doubt) I wouldn't know.

Don't make this about me. I've never called for a boycott nor have I ever privately advised anyone not to attend. J. Hart can attest to this. I'm simply in a different place in my life than I was in my 30s and 40s and often have conflicting work/family commitments and priorities.

But for the record, I did attend one game this year and was pleased with the energy shown by the players and coaches. In contrast, there was nothing coming from the sparse gathering in the stands. It was as if someone had taken a pin and popped the party balloon.

As someone who's attended games for more than a quarter-century, it's my observation that the program is in danger of lapsing into total irrelevance. Just take a look around; I'm not the only one missing.

The administration can't fire Rob Jeter again, so what can be done?

By the way, if I can gotten my wish and been able to attend the most recent game, do you know what the attendance would have been?

642. ANNOUNCED. Or perhaps they would have made up a different number.
    Last edited by dylanrocks; 01-23-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Full disclosure: I personally won't BUY a ticket this year or until the architects of the purge are relieved; that would reward bad behavior.

On average, it costs $340,000 per year to have the arena called UW Milwaukee Panther arena. I'm not sure if averaging less than 2,000 per game is going to cover that expense, not to mention other expenses associated with the basketball program. This should have been a year with increased attendance and elevated excitement building toward a possible league title and NCAA bid.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast