Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: BrewCity...

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Nuke, Ernie was teaming up with Bad News Barnes in early '70's leading to their FF in '73 and later playing for my beloved Buffalo Braves. You may be thinking of Billy Donovan and that dude whose name escapes me who was a transfer from Indiana I think. They did fire up a ton of threes.
    Yep, Billy Donovan. A senior moment there. In any event, my point stands. Pitino figured out eFG% without metrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Yep, Billy Donovan. A senior moment there. In any event, my point stands. Pitino figured out eFG% without metrics.

No he didn't.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ege-basketball

"For us, it was basic mathematics," Pitino said. "We could shoot a lower percentage and still score more points. It was a godsend for our team."

METRICS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    No he didn't.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ege-basketball

"For us, it was basic mathematics," Pitino said. "We could shoot a lower percentage and still score more points. It was a godsend for our team."

METRICS!!!!
    Uhhhh, I think you got that totally backwards. Ye, you can shoot a lower % of threes and come out ahead.

Interesting stats from,the UW IU game tonight

IU made 62% of their 2 point shots .. out rebounded UW 32-25 and made 2 more free throws.

UW made 50% of their 2 point shots but also made 10-20 threes.....IU only 5-15...IU also turned it over 6 more times....

So IU scores 1.11 points per possession but still loses by 7 to UW which scores 1.23.

Good offense or bad D?

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Interesting stats from,the UW IU game tonight

IU made 62% of their 2 point shots .. out rebounded UW 32-25 and made 2 more free throws.

UW made 50% of their 2 point shots but also made 10-20 threes.....IU only 5-15...IU also turned it over 6 more times....

So IU scores 1.11 points per possession but still loses by 7 to UW which scores 1.23.

Good offense or bad D?
    Or typical poor game plan for Crean at IU vs UW?

IU has been having turnover problems all year. Didn't see the game, but in looking at the boxscore, that looked to be the problem again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    IU has been having turnover problems all year. Didn't see the game, but in looking at the boxscore, that looked to be the problem again.
    Yes and there is the one thing you must do when playing UW: Value each possession. Crean never does against them and thinks he can just force them to play at his pace by shooting early and often and throwing the ball carelessly around. Hasn't happened yet in 7 years there. Really poor coaching. Groce ad McCafferry are in the same class there when playing UW. Coming down 1 on 2 and jacking up 17 footers, etc. You would think these guys would learn after losing that many times to Bo and Gard.

Buzz understood that when playing UW. Value the ball each time and ramp the defense up in the last 10 seconds of each possession because that is when UW was going to shoot.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910