Carter Leaves Team

From Scott Kuykendall
    Associate Athletic Director, Communications

December 14, 2016
    For Immediate Release

Traci Carter Leaves Men’s Basketball Program
    Sophomore guard appeared in 41 career games

Milwaukee –
    Sophomore guard Traci Carter of the Marquette University men’s basketball team has left the program, effective immediately, head coach Steve Wojciechowski announced Wednesday afternoon.

“We appreciate what Traci has contributed to our program since he arrived on campus,” head coach Steve Wojciechowski said. “He has worked extremely hard, both on and off the court, and we wish him the best of luck as he continues his career.”

Carter appeared in 41 career games for the Golden Eagles, making 23 starts. He played in eight outings in 2016-17 and chipped in 4.3 points, 3.6 assists and 2.1 rebounds per game in an average of 16.3 minutes per contest.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Crap!!

Why can't we keep these kids on campus? So frustrating.

Most disappointing news to hear Traci is leaving. I am one of his biggest fans. Its been a tough few days for the Marquette faithful.

Not at all happy. I like Howard, but I'm not sure he'll hold up to defending in the Big East. I think we're going to miss Traci sooner rather than later.

I, too, am a huge Traci fan and have been since the beginning.

I have been concerned for weeks that he might transfer when it became clear that Markus had moved up to become our primary point guard and that Rowsey was getting at least equivalent time to Traci as well.

I view this as a tremendous loss as I believe Traci is our best on-ball defender and our best pure point guard in terms of ball handling, passing, and creating for teammates.

That being said, I am also a huge Markus fan and can understand why Wojo decided to play him more mpg. I think Markus is a unique talent.

This mid-year transfer crap is becoming more common. We, of course, saw it with Jeronne, Deonte, and Dawson, as well as Sandy. But in the last week or so we've also seen it with Sima at St. John's and Copeland at GTown.

It's all about playing time. Copeland's minutes dropped from 32 last year to just under 20 this year. Sima was getting just under 20 as well.

It's a result of this generation's need for immediate gratification. It is also a result of the entitlement culture that has begun to pervade our culture over the last decade or two.

Here's a prediction: it ain't going to stop; in fact, it's going to get worse. Pretty soon transfers will hit 1,200 a year, then 1,500. We have become a sick, dysfunctional society.

Traci is just another brick in the wall.

A "sick, dysfunctional society?" Because of basketball transfers?

I don't understand why it bothers people at the macro level. I don't like losing players like Traci, but I like gaining players like Rowsey. You don't have to make it more than that or turn it into some sort of generational insult. There is no reason for a player who doesn't want to be at a school to stay at the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    I, too, am a huge Traci fan and have been since the beginning.

I have been concerned for weeks that he might transfer when it became clear that Markus had moved up to become our primary point guard and that Rowsey was getting at least equivalent time to Traci as well.

I view this as a tremendous loss as I believe Traci is our best on-ball defender and our best pure point guard in terms of ball handling, passing, and creating for teammates.

That being said, I am also a huge Markus fan and can understand why Wojo decided to play him more mpg. I think Markus is a unique talent.

This mid-year transfer crap is becoming more common. We, of course, saw it with Jeronne, Deonte, and Dawson, as well as Sandy. But in the last week or so we've also seen it with Sima at St. John's and Copeland at GTown.

It's all about playing time. Copeland's minutes dropped from 32 last year to just under 20 this year. Sima was getting just under 20 as well.

It's a result of this generation's need for immediate gratification. It is also a result of the entitlement culture that has begun to pervade our culture over the last decade or two.

Here's a prediction: it ain't going to stop; in fact, it's going to get worse. Pretty soon transfers will hit 1,200 a year, then 1,500. We have become a sick, dysfunctional society.

Traci is just another brick in the wall.
    I agree that it's generational. I just wrote that in the thread on the premium board. College coaches are giving clinics on how to relate to today's generation. They aren't labelling it a good thing or a bad thing. It's just how things are. It is common for kids of this generation to change jobs and careers 3 or 4 times. Divorce rates are up. Attention spans are short, not just for this generation but for everyone now. How long can you go before you look at your phone? How mad do you get when a web page doesn't load up after 3 seconds? Parents are telling kids how special they are and they carry that through their lives. Kids don't need you for information anymore. They can just google it on their phones. In order to reach them, you have to tell them what's in it for them. This is how college coaches are adjusting how to coach their kids and how to recruit their kids.

The bottom line is that it's very hard to put together a winning program with this much turnover and I'm not going to level any blame in this post. For varying reasons, MU has had 11 players leave before their eligibility was up. Below are the players who left and the year of playing time since the current coaching staff took over.

Ahmed Hill (0)
    Marial Shayok (0)
    Satchel Pierce (0)
    Todd Mayo (0)
    Steve Taylor (1)
    Henry Ellenson (1)
    Wally Ellenson (1)
    Deonte Burton (1.5)
    John Dawson (1.5)
    Traci Carter (1.5)
    Sandy Cohen (2.5)

Then if you add grad transfers Matt Carlino (1) and Katin Reinhardt (1) you have a whole roster of players, 13 scholarships, who will have given you a total of 12 years of playing time and yes, I know the 3 recruits that left before playing a game can't be attributed to the current coaches.

Player defections are a problem and have been a problem. Crean lost a number of players and was lucky to recruit the Amigo's and they helped him get the Indiana job. Buzz had problems as well and you could argue that 5 of his best recruits, were a direct result of other players leaving and I'm alluding to the additions of Jimmy Butler, Darius Johnson-Odom, Dwight Buycks, Jae Crowder and Jamil Wilson.

Frankly, things have to stabilize and without going too much into it and being too negative, recruiting/roster management has to improve.
    Last edited by TedBaxter; 12-15-2016 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I agree that it's generational. I just wrote that in the thread on the premium board. College coaches are giving clinics on how to relate to today's generation. They aren't labelling it a good thing or a bad thing. It's just how things are. It is common for kids of this generation to change jobs and careers 3 or 4 times. Divorce rates are up. Attention spans are short, not just for this generation but for everyone now. How long can you go before you look at your phone? How mad do you get when a web page doesn't load up after 3 seconds? Parents are telling kids how special they are and they carry that through their lives. Kids don't need you for information anymore. They can just google it on their phones. In order to reach them, you have to tell them what's in it for them. This is how college coaches are adjusting how to coach their kids and how to recruit their kids.
    Very good points all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    Things have really changed since I was a frosh at MU back in 1964. Those days seem like the dark ages now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast