Thread: My Keys to the Game

My Keys to the Game

Wisconsin:

Simply, does Nigel Hayes play like a jack of all trades, play-making forward that sets his teammates up and scores on the inside, or does he revert back being to being a three point shooting chucker? Easier to be more unselfish at home, but what happens when there is the pressure of a rivalry game against a good team on the road? For Marquette, the hope should be for Hayes and Koenig to take as many of their shots as possible.

Marquette

Does Luke Fischer play like the all-around dominant player he was in the game Vandy game, or does he get in foul trouble and/or largely disappear like he did in the Pitt game? There are relatively low expectations for Luke in this game, but I would not be stunned if a Wisconsin kid in his last Bucky-Marquette game has a memorable performance. I am sure that Wojo has let Luke know that many of his own fans expect Happ to dominate him, and Luke kept Happ to a largely ineffective performance in this game last year.
    #BringShakaHome

I don't see Luke being able to contain Happ without help.

Creighton doubled Happ every time he got the ball in the paint and forced him to get rid of it. Watching that game, I was reminded of how MU doubled Kentucky's Estill and shut him down after he had torched UW in the previous game when Bo refused to double him.

I am hoping that is Wojo's strategy, and even then I can see Luke getting a couple of early, relatively cheap fouls. I am sure that Gard wants to get Luke out of the game as quickly as possible and will have his team try to get it inside to Happ early and often.

As far as Hayes, I am also guessing that any time he starts chucking up treys today Gard will pull him and sit him down and let him know that's not what he wants him to do.

The other major question, though, is which Koenig will show up. The guy who goes 1 of 12 from the field and 0 of 6 on treys? Of the one who puts up 18 points, is hitting all his open looks - or at least most of them - and also puts pressure on the defense by driving into the lane?

The Badgers are a three-headed monster. Brown and Showalter just have to be their usual complementary role players.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    I don't see Luke being able to contain Happ without help.

Creighton doubled Happ every time he got the ball in the paint and forced him to get rid of it. Watching that game, I was reminded of how MU doubled Kentucky's Estill and shut him down after he had torched UW in the previous game when Bo refused to double him.

I am hoping that is Wojo's strategy, and even then I can see Luke getting a couple of early, relatively cheap fouls. I am sure that Gard wants to get Luke out of the game as quickly as possible and will have his team try to get it inside to Happ early and often.

As far as Hayes, I am also guessing that any time he starts chucking up treys today Gard will pull him and sit him down and let him know that's not what he wants him to do.

The other major question, though, is which Koenig will show up. The guy who goes 1 of 12 from the field and 0 of 6 on treys? Of the one who puts up 18 points, is hitting all his open looks - or at least most of them - and also puts pressure on the defense by driving into the lane?

The Badgers are a three-headed monster. Brown and Showalter just have to be their usual complementary role players.
    Again, let Happ have his...he will NOT beat them by himself..if UW holds everyone else in check, it will be a win for MU

Rebounding, rebounding and rebounding .

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    Again, let Happ have his...he will NOT beat them by himself..if UW holds everyone else in check, it will be a win for MU
    That's just ridiculous. Let the only guy on their team with first team All American potential this year have his? You don't understand this Wisconsin team at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    That's just ridiculous. Let the only guy on their team with first team All American potential this year have his? You don't understand this Wisconsin team at all.

Oh I understand it...I see a team that is VERY skiddish, especially on the road...I see a team that many fans here worship like they are some unbeatable force. I see a team that many fans think is "scary" because they have shot out of their asses AT HOME the last 2 games. I have ZERO fear of this badger team. None. What's Happ going to do?? Score all 80 himself?? Shut everyone else down(or hold them in check, and i will 1000% guarantee you Happ alone will not outscore the entire MU team. MU wins this one comfortably.

If Happ gets 25/15/5, that's him "getting his". That means we'll either be letting them run riot in the middle, conceding tons of boards, or opening up the rest of the floor. Happ is also an excellent passer which means he'd be providing for others. He's the key to their offense. In what world is letting the best player have his way a good idea?

Clamp down on Happ, keep in front of Koenig, disrupt Hayes passing lanes.