Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prediction Time - UW

Prediction Time - UW

I would love to see us pull off the upset, but UW is as good as any team we will face this year except possibly Nova. I just don't think we're strong enough to get that upset.

I also do not like the Happ-Luke match up. Happ is a nightmare for most 5s, but I think it will be especially rough for Luke (and Matt). A quick, long, mobile center who is a true shot-blocker (someone like Patton of Creighton) might be able to give Happ a lot of trouble, but that is not Luke. Happ is much too quick for Luke, and he is very aggressive. Given Luke's propensity for fouls, I think he might see a lot of time on the bench, and if he is, Happ cold score 20+ and grab a dozen boards.

I also think we will have trouble defending Hayes. I know Sandy did a nice job a year ago, but that was in large part because Hayes hung around the three-point line most of the game. I don't see that happening. I don't think JJ can stay with Hayes, especially if he plays in the paint.

I know most MU-UW games are pretty close and competitive, but I think UW will win fairly easily, 82-71.

Mu 101- uw 90
    "In the words of Bill Simmons, "Because that's how we roll be-yotch!"" -IWB

MU in a normal MU v. UW type game, close and a fight for every possession.
    MU 75 UW 72.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    I know most MU-UW games are pretty close and competitive, but I think UW will win fairly easily, 82-71.
    Well I guess I'm betting the house on MU, then.

But I agree. I don't see them being able to stop UW. They'll need a cold outside shooting night from UW to have a chance.

Seth Davis picks MU:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...nsin-marquette

When these teams met last year in Madison, Marquette escaped with a 57–55 win. True, the Golden Eagles don’t have forward Henry Ellenson anymore (he was selected with pick No. 18 in the NBA draft), but they also don’t have to play the Badgers in Kohl. Marquette is not a very good defensive team, but it has a pair of dynamic playmaking guards in sophomores Traci Carter and Hannif Cheatham, plus a big, immovable object in the middle in senior Luke Fischer. All of that, plus the homecourt advantage, should add up to a mild upset.

I'm thinking UW 84 -MU 74. Happ just scares the %^&* out of me and TC is not 100% and HC in a funk.

Seeing how Seth's analysis is plain bad, I think we can discount his prediction.

I don't think we can stop Madison and that our young'ns struggle a bit.

Madison 82 - MU 69

I'd be shocked if we lost by 10+. Even in 2014 when we had our worst team in 20 years and UW had their best team of all time, we lost by 11. Kenpom has this as a 1 point UW victory and has Marquette with a 43% chance to win. The opening betting line is UW -2.5

I know those metrics aren't predictors, but for everyone to be predicting a 10+ point loss is nuts.
    Last edited by MUwarrior1090; 12-09-2016 at 03:26 PM.

UW 72, Marq 70

Layup fest for Happ.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    UW 72, Marq 70

Layup fest for Happ.
    Unfortunately, that feels about right to me. Now, UW has struggled the two times they have played good teams away from home (UNC and Creighton), but we are not yet on that level. I worry that a refocused Hayes and Happ will take advantage of our weakness on the interior. For us to win, we need Luke to play like he did against Vandy and Luke Kornet.
    #BringShakaHome

Except that Happ is not Kornet. Kornet spent a good deal of time at the three-point line. Happ is strictly a low-post player.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast