Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fresno St Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DCwarrior View Post
    (and the pathetic crowd...sounded and looked embarrassing on TV) after they got the big lead and the momentum just vanished.
    So, it looked like every "buy game" on TV.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Me also since they won.
    Don't mistake the level of opponent for improvement in play. That performance last night is an L for all but St Johns or DePaul in conference play.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    So, it looked like every "buy game" on TV.
    It's the schedule. The home non conference schedule is terrible. Why should people pay and show up?

Why should non die hard MU fans pay for season tickets? If you buy 2 tickets, and seat prices are $30 per game, you have just spent $360 on the slate of 6 games Rockhurst, Howard, IUPUI, Houston Baptist, Western Carolina, and Fresno State, plus a seat license and have yet to see a good team. Were those games worth $360 plus? Now add in St. Francis and SIUE and it is $480. Is that worth it when MU doesn't sell out and you can get tickets to any game, and watch any game on TV?
    Wisconsin is the only decent non conference game.

Now add into that the students on campus (Frosh - Seniors) have never been in school when we had a team worthy of the NCAA. MU basketball haven't given the students that are on campus a reason to care, or show up. I don't blame the students, watch on TV with friends.

Schedule some decent non conference home games and maybe students and basketball fans will come, but I don't blame them for not coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    It's the schedule. The home non conference schedule is terrible. Why should people pay and show up?

Why should non die hard MU fans pay for season tickets? If you buy 2 tickets, and seat prices are $30 per game, you have just spent $360 on the slate of 6 games Rockhurst, Howard, IUPUI, Houston Baptist, Western Carolina, and Fresno State, plus a seat license and have yet to see a good team. Were those games worth $360 plus? Now add in St. Francis and SIUE and it is $480. Is that worth it when MU doesn't sell out and you can get tickets to any game, and watch any game on TV?
    And all of those games outside of Rockhurst and HBU are weeknights. I'd think there'd at least be a small bump if a few of those were on a Saturday afternoon.

Now add into that the students on campus (Frosh - Seniors) have never been in school when we had a team worthy of the NCAA. MU basketball haven't given the students that are on campus a reason to care, or show up. I don't blame the students, watch on TV with friends.

Schedule some decent non conference home games and maybe students and basketball fans will come, but I don't blame them for not coming.
    In addition, MU plays in an enormous venue. 18,600 capacity is very large for buy games against IUPUI, Houston Baptist, Howard and Western Carolina. Heck, Villanova plays plenty of games against lesser opponents in their 6,500 seat capacity Pavilion. Or Duke, with a capacity of 9,314. Xavier and Butler never looks empty on TV because their capacity is 10,250 and 9,150 respectively. Creighton has the best attendance in the conference given the fact the place always looks full despite a capacity of 17,390. The new arena in Milwaukee will be approximately 17,500.

Add in the fact that the BC was designed for hockey with more seats in the upper bowl than the lower bowl...and of course it will not look great on TV for some buy games. In the new arena, designed for hoops, there will be more seats in the lower bowl than the upper level. Plus, there will be standing areas in the upper level of the new arena....not just continuous seating all the way around the upper level like in the BC. With the ability to curtain off some areas for lower attended games. That will help the empty warehouse perception (upper level) on TV for games against cupcakes.

MU has been Top 25 in attendance annually for a while now. Student support may be down, but likely do to the fact that the team has been missing the NCAA tournament and posting a losing record in conference under Wojo. For non-students, more specifically recent graduates, economic conditions/disposable income might factor in a bit as well in watching on TV versus buying tickets.

Bottom line, winning and having a few good non conference home games will cure all. As more games are available to watch, less need to attend games in person.

Good points about the upper v. lower number of seats in the new venue as well. Also the number of seats in many college venues. Heck, a few years back Duke didn't sell out all of their student seats because the home slate was so bad (good schedule, just good games were at neutral sites or on the road).

I think before we pass judgement on all things, lets wait for the conference season play out and then draw our conclusions.

I think you are talking two different things here. If you pay for your tickets you should show up. That being said, many might have money which they don't care if they come. Some buy season tickets in their way of supporting MU sports. What ever happened in just supporting your team. Plus, if folks don't want to come, GIVE YOUR TICKETS AWAY! That is why we did on your Marquette Club Card will be giving out a gift to those who have perfect attendance.

As for the students. MU has sold about 3,000 student season tickets and we can get 1/3 to attend a game for 2 hours.

Last, Fresno State was the Mountain West Champions, which is a great game to have for a buy game.

I totally agree and understand the non diehard not buying season tickets.
    March Madness starts in November

Anyone watching the NC/Davidson game?

The upper deck was maybe 25% full. Even if I am off, it was 33% full plus there were empty seats on the lower level. This for the #7 team in the country playing an in state team that has had a lot of success over the years.

I think this isn't a Marquette problem, it is a college sports problem.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    Anyone watching the NC/Davidson game?

The upper deck was maybe 25% full. Even if I am off, it was 33% full plus there were empty seats on the lower level. This for the #7 team in the country playing an in state team that has had a lot of success over the years.

I think this isn't a Marquette problem, it is a college sports problem.
    I watched Creighton - Nebraska. Sell-out.

College sports problem? Depends on where the college is located. When the college is the only show in town, attendance grows.

VS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast