Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sam Dekker Makes National Team

Sam Dekker Makes National Team

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u1...finalists.html

Very impressive and a congrats to the Wisconsin recruit.

Great to see state talent brigning it on a national level. Congrats to Dekker.

If he was an MU commit, would Badger fans be as gracious? They would probably shoot out his porchlight. Anyhoo, I wish him the best and hope he kicks ass. One problem: Reading the Badger boards (and after losing Uthoff), Dekker is now expected to be a 20 and 10 guy, All-Conference and a one-and-done. He and I have logged exactly the same amount of Div. 1 basketball minutes. I think it is unfair of Bucky fans to put that much pressure on an 18-year old freshman to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamostradamus View Post
    If he was an MU commit, would Badger fans be as gracious? They would probably shoot out his porchlight. Anyhoo, I wish him the best and hope he kicks ass. One problem: Reading the Badger boards (and after losing Uthoff), Dekker is now expected to be a 20 and 10 guy, All-Conference and a one-and-done. He and I have logged exactly the same amount of Div. 1 basketball minutes. I think it is unfair of Bucky fans to put that much pressure on an 18-year old freshman to perform.

Yeah, cause Marquette fans have never done that!

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Sam Dekker Makes National Team
    Not so fast Ted - I hope he makes it, but this is the "finalists roster", which is at 14. There are 2 more players that will be cut as the final roster is 12 players. Hope Dekker makes it, and I believe he will. It would be great to get a home-state player on this team.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Hamostradamus View Post
    If Dekker is as good as advertised he should put up such numbers (see Kentucky). A lot of pressure seeing as they will likely start a redshirt frosh at point.
    One and done? If that is the case, the Badgers will have a real tough go of it the following year. Do the Badgers score enough points for a guy to average 20 per game?

From Zagsblog on the team.
    http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/06/08/u...ut/#more-74504
    Last edited by Goose85; 06-08-2012 at 09:35 AM.

This is the same team Vander made right?

No doubt about it the kid is talented and will be a pain to deal with for however many years he is at UW. I don't see him being one and done, but I could see him going before the 4 years is up... Then again who knows, let the kid play and we can all see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Yeah, cause Marquette fans have never done that!
    Assuming you are referring to the expectations part, I agree (and I was exaggerating a bit for effect about the one-and-done). I was as guilty as anyone of expecting Vander to be the second coming as a frosh, but that was my "teachable moment." Going forward, no matter how high a player is ranked, I wouldn't expect more than a few mins. per game, a few points here and there, and an occasional start. The question is: considering Bo's style and the supporting cast, what are Dekker's numbers going to be in conference play? Remember Gasser, as a freshman, scored 21 points in his first game (2nd best in UW history) and recorded UW's only triple double ever (vs. Northwestern). He finished with 6 ppg in conference play freshman year, 8 ppg sophomore year. Granted Dekker is better than Gasser, but once conference play hits, I would try to remember he is still just a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Not so fast Ted - I hope he makes it, but this is the "finalists roster", which is at 14. There are 2 more players that will be cut as the final roster is 12 players. Hope Dekker makes it, and I believe he will. It would be great to get a home-state player on this team.
    Sorry, jumped the gun a little. Hope he makes it.

I am pretty sure he will, although that roster is pretty forward heavy, so the cuts will likely be forwards, but I still think he makes it.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast