Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ot: Muhs

Ot: Muhs

Just saw the news report that some white MUHS students taunted Latino students at the school that they were going to be deported and wrote insulting comments on those students' backpacks and book bags.

I guess it just shows that our young people model their behavior on the words and actions of adults. What a shame! It will be interesting to see both the short-term impact and the long-term consequences of this election.

I would do this as punishment. When a college application is sent out and the college asks for transcripts to review, include a little report on the incidents and their involvement in those incidents.

They will be lucky to remain in school. At the very least I suspect a suspension.

As an alum that's incredibly disappointing. Was telling my gf that in my years there I never once witnessed overt racism or bigotry at anytime.

They are kids. Come on. Stupid and offensive, yes. But, didn't you do stupid and offensive things when you were 16 or 17? Let's ruin there chance of attending the college of their dreams because they did something dumb. Give them a slap they think is huge (suspension, semester of detention, etc) and teach them why what they did was wrong. We, as a society, have to quit overreacting to everything.

I am a grad. I hold MUHS kids to a higher standard recognizing those higher standards are difficult to meet. There should be some severe punishment. Many good MUHS students were booted in my era for many lesser reasons--many who have come back to MUHS remorseful for their conduct. Most of them would not be booted out today.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    I am a grad. I hold MUHS kids to a higher standard recognizing those higher standards are difficult to meet. There should be some severe punishment. Many good MUHS students were booted in my era for many lesser reasons--many who have come back to MUHS remorseful for their conduct. Most of them would not be booted out today.
    No offense, but as a former student of your most heated rival back in the day, you weren't call "Eddies" for nothing. You seem to have a bit of a revisionist view of history. Yeah, if you got caught, the priests might have expelled you to save face. But, even that depended on who you were. You guys were not angels. As a whole, I think most kids alums from the old Metro schools considered MU high students fake. Publicly polite, but privately rude, crude, and self-centered. The stereotypical obnoxious preppy, or in other words, Eddie Haskell. Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of MU High friends. I am partners with 4 of them. They are all good guys. My nephews all went to MUHS. Its a great school. But, kids are kids. Catholic school kids can make the same mistakes as public school kids. Instead of kicking them out or damaging their future, we should be teaching them. Now, if that means a good whack with a ruler and hard kick in the shins by a nun in patent leather shoes, so be it. Catholic education has gone downhill since the nuns aren't around to give the kids a good smack when they get out of hand.

Keep in mind at a school like MUHS (I too am a grad), you can, and very likely will, get kicked out for getting into a fist fight. I know of kids at Catholic schools where my kids have gone / are going (MUHS, DSHA, Pius) where a kid got into a fist fight in the hall and was never seen at the school again - booted out. Two kids found with weed on their person at school, never seen at the school again - booted out that day.
    At many Catholic schools there is little to no tolerance for such actions, and they can kick you out at their discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by MU88 View Post
    No offense, but as a former student of your most heated rival back in the day, you weren't call "Eddies" for nothing. You seem to have a bit of a revisionist view of history. Yeah, if you got caught, the priests might have expelled you to save face. But, even that depended on who you were. You guys were not angels. As a whole, I think most kids alums from the old Metro schools considered MU high students fake. Publicly polite, but privately rude, crude, and self-centered. The stereotypical obnoxious preppy, or in other words, Eddie Haskell. Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of MU High friends. I am partners with 4 of them. They are all good guys. My nephews all went to MUHS. Its a great school. But, kids are kids. Catholic school kids can make the same mistakes as public school kids. Instead of kicking them out or damaging their future, we should be teaching them. Now, if that means a good whack with a ruler and hard kick in the shins by a nun in patent leather shoes, so be it. Catholic education has gone downhill since the nuns aren't around to give the kids a good smack when they get out of hand.
    How do guys like John Chisholm or David Clarke or Tom Barrett fit your stereotypes?
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by MU88 View Post
    They are kids. Come on. Stupid and offensive, yes. But, didn't you do stupid and offensive things when you were 16 or 17? Let's ruin there chance of attending the college of their dreams because they did something dumb. Give them a slap they think is huge (suspension, semester of detention, etc) and teach them why what they did was wrong. We, as a society, have to quit overreacting to everything.
    Well said!!! Making America Great Again!!
    March Madness starts in November

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast