Thread: Playing MU again?

Playing MU again?

Over on the eunuch board, there's speculation that Marquette and Milwaukee will resume playing men's basketball. Someone linked to an article at bizjournals.com, quoting Amanda "the genius" Braun as saying a resumption of the series is possible or even likely.

I don't see how anything has changed on Marquette's side to make this likely: like a game with any other mid-major, the consequences of a loss, no matter how remote, for a tournament invite, are too negative.

Unless Marquette figures the Milwaukee program has deteriorated to the point that playing the Panthers is like playing any of the other opposite-of-a-powerhouse teams that they fill their non-league schedule with.

Is the Milwaukee AD prepared to accept that perception? If so, how does that square with the announced expectation that the Panthers are going to contend for the HL title on a consistent basis?
    Last edited by Skrapheap; 02-12-2017 at 01:40 PM.

"Unless Marquette figures the Milwaukee program has deteriorated to the point that playing the Panthers is like playing any of the other opposite-of-a-powerhouse teams that they fill their non-league schedule with."

Ya think? There's actually nobody left in our administration who has any appreciation of the history here. MU does not agree to play us unless they think we are going to pose utterly no threat to beat them. When we put the scare into them at the Cell about 5 years back they immediately dropped the series after the return game. (The reason was a pretense, btw.) If there is any truth whatsoever to this rumor it's yet another sign that we are more likely to re-enter D3 than that we will ever get back to the tournament under the current administration.

Short version: welcome to hell, Panther fans. Our program has been deconstructed so thoroughly that even a Marquette program that hasn't sniffed the post-season for years and desperately needs every low-major win it can buy wants to play us again.
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

I smell a number of rats emanating from this story, with Braun and Lovell being the primary rats in question.

The biz journal article is behind a subscription wall, so i didn't read it.

Some of the discussion on the eunuch board quoted Amanda Braun as saying "technicalities" prevented the series from resuming this year.

Others claimed that the Badger-Panther series was discontinued by Greg Gard because Rob Jeter got fired. Gard is "being a baby," was the characterization.
    Last edited by Skrapheap; 02-12-2017 at 01:42 PM.

"Others claimed that the Badger-Panther series was discontinued by Greg Gard because Rob Jeter got fired. Gard is "being a baby," was the characterization."

If that's the reason the series was discontinued my characterization of Gard would be more like he was being a stand-up guy who recoiled at what was done to a staff full of great people and a team full of kids who had only ever made their program proud.

According to the J-S this morning this is the first season since 1991-2 that we don't have the Badgers on the schedule.

Progress!!
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

Big Babies

Here's a short list of some other "big babies":

Jordan Johnson
    Akeem Springs
    Austin Arians
    Matt Tiby
    J.J. Panoske
    All the parents of those listed above
    Bill Johnson
    David Nicholas

A few of us were made aware by the previous staff that Wisconsin was likely to end the series after that game.

I'm all for never renewing it. If they want to approach us, let's talk. #Jimmy4AD sits with Barry Alvarez, this is how I'd script the discussion:

Barry: We'd like to renew the series.

Jimmy: Fantastic, tell us which year you'd like to host and we'll take the other one.

Barry: Actually, we weren't planning on making the trip to Milwaukee to play you guys at all in the series.

Jimmy: Okay, well I can see this is going to be a very short meeting.

Barry: We don't feel that it's in our program's best interest to give up the benefits of a home game in a game with a mid-major, intrastate or not.

Jimmy: Well, it's not in my program's best interest to give up the benefits of a home game in a series, regardless of the opponent's level or location.

Barry: I can understand that. If we were willing to sign a six-year series, with five games in Madison and one in Milwaukee, does that sound all right?

Jimmy: Unfortunately it doesn't, Barry. I understand how you feel; if I were running such a large program, I know I'd want to have the upper hand in a series as far as home games are concerned. Recognizing this, I'm willing to make a concession. How is this for a solution? We can have a series with two games in Madison and two games in Milwaukee.

Barry: How does this give us the upper hand in the series?

Jimmy: I'm glad you asked that, Barry. See, both games in Madison will take place in the Kohl Center. However, in Milwaukee, only one of the games will be played at the Arena. The other game will be played at the new downtown Arena, on the Bucks home court. This is a fantastic deal and I'm really happy that we're able to satisfy both fan bases.

Barry: That's not going to satisfy my fan base. That's still two games in Milwaukee. I'll humor you, though. What would we do with the gate from the Bucks Arena game?

Jimmy: Since that is our home game, we would retain the profit from the gate. But I can see how you feel like you need some more concessions, so in the spirit of conciliation I'll give you the option of making the profits on concession sales.

Barry: That wouldn't be nearly enough, you're dreaming.

Jimmy: You know what, you're right. I can give you more. How about we split the profits from the ticket sales down the middle?

Barry: I don't think you're hearing me. I'm willing to have less of a commitment. How about another 4-for-1 series?

Jimmy: That would definitely be fair, yes. I'll even let you pick the year.

Barry: What am I picking?

Jimmy: I'll let you pick the year the game is in Madison. The other four we'll do in Milwaukee.

Barry: Are you even listening to me?

Jimmy: Of course! I thought we were looking for a fair agreement. It looks to me as though the previous contracts - a 4-for-1 followed by what amounts to a 7-for-2 - were hosted frequently in Madison. In the interest of tipping the scales for Lady Justice (I love her mural in the Capitol building), I thought you were looking to even it out.

Barry: That's ridiculous. We're in the Big Ten. You're in the Horizon League.

Jimmy: Yes. I don't know what you mean.

Barry: We're a high-major; and not just any high-major, but one with a $150 million budget and multiple Final Fours in the last few years.

Jimmy: Oh that's cool. Are you inviting us to join the Big Ten?

Barry: What? Are you really that dense?

Jimmy: I'm just trying to find out how it benefits my program to make us essentially fill out a lease for a locker room in the Kohl Center. You have a great program, I'm not going to tell you that you're not. But you're going to have to get it through your head that you are doing what's best for your program. I'm doing what's best for mine. There is absolutely a benefit to playing the Wisconsin Badgers in men's basketball. It's our flagship sport. Many of our fans are also Badger fans. There's plenty of local interest in the outcome of such a game.

Barry: So why not play us in a series that recognizes the differences in our programs?

Jimmy: Here's the thing - you value your program. I value mine. It wasn't all that long ago that the Fieldhouse at UW was less than half-full for men's basketball games - you should know, you were working there. My goal is to stand in the future and look upon these years with the same sense of pride in how far we've come. You've been to a couple Final Fours recently; that's wonderful. I want to do that too.

*Barry snickers*

Jimmy: Really? Because it wasn't all that long ago your Big Ten Badgers went on a 47-year hiatus between NCAA Tournament appearances. You can say that in this moment we're in two very different places as programs, and that's correct. But your program didn't climb out of that rut by signing a 4-for-1 with Duke. You climbed out of it by investing in the program. The Kohl Center was a great jump start for a stagnant program - it helped Dick Bennett recruit the players that hung that Final Four banner in 2000. They didn't spend their careers going to Cameron Indoor every year because of the "differences," just as I'm not going to sign a deal that forces my guys to bus up to Madison every December.

*Barry makes a mental note to get alumni legislators to kill Milwaukee practice facility*

Jimmy: Like it or not, I value my program just as you value yours. It's about time that Milwaukee starts working for Milwaukee. So, all jokes aside, if you're ready to sign a 2-for-1, let's do it. There's your concession. I will concede that due to the benefit of playing your program being more substantial for us, we'll play one game at home and two games on the road. Anything more heavily weighted in Bucky's favor and it doesn't make sense for Pounce.

Barry: Okay then. I guess if I want something done, I'm just going to have to call Amanda Braun.

Jimmy: Too late, she gave away those dates in a 2-for-1 with Eastern Michigan.
    In negotiating with Marquette or Wisconsin, whoever sits on our side of the table has to value our program at the level we strive to be. Because if the plan is to just sign something because some sore fans want to play the Badgers or Golden Eagles again, then all that talk about Jeter and his staff not doing good enough is a load of ********.

I mean, we all know it's a load of ********. We also know Amanda's going to agree to a shitty deal. My only regret is she's still contemplating our future schedule and not updating her resume to include "2013-2016 - Director of Athletics, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Took crappy situation and dropped a nuclear bomb onto it."

A few of us were made aware by the previous staff that Wisconsin was likely to end the series after that game.

I'm all for never renewing it. If they want to approach us, let's talk. #Jimmy4AD sits with Barry Alvarez, this is how I'd script the discussion:

Barry: We'd like to renew the series.

Jimmy: Fantastic, tell us which year you'd like to host and we'll take the other one.

Barry: Actually, we weren't planning on making the trip to Milwaukee to play you guys at all in the series.

Jimmy: Okay, well I can see this is going to be a very short meeting.

Barry: We don't feel that it's in our program's best interest to give up the benefits of a home game in a game with a mid-major, intrastate or not.

Jimmy: Well, it's not in my program's best interest to give up the benefits of a home game in a series, regardless of the opponent's level or location.

Barry: I can understand that. If we were willing to sign a six-year series, with five games in Madison and one in Milwaukee, does that sound all right?

Jimmy: Unfortunately it doesn't, Barry. I understand how you feel; if I were running such a large program, I know I'd want to have the upper hand in a series as far as home games are concerned. Recognizing this, I'm willing to make a concession. How is this for a solution? We can have a series with two games in Madison and two games in Milwaukee.

Barry: How does this give us the upper hand in the series?

Jimmy: I'm glad you asked that, Barry. See, both games in Madison will take place in the Kohl Center. However, in Milwaukee, only one of the games will be played at the Arena. The other game will be played at the new downtown Arena, on the Bucks home court. This is a fantastic deal and I'm really happy that we're able to satisfy both fan bases.

Barry: That's not going to satisfy my fan base. That's still two games in Milwaukee. I'll humor you, though. What would we do with the gate from the Bucks Arena game?

Jimmy: Since that is our home game, we would retain the profit from the gate. But I can see how you feel like you need some more concessions, so in the spirit of conciliation I'll give you the option of making the profits on concession sales.

Barry: That wouldn't be nearly enough, you're dreaming.

Jimmy: You know what, you're right. I can give you more. How about we split the profits from the ticket sales down the middle?

Barry: I don't think you're hearing me. I'm willing to have less of a commitment. How about another 4-for-1 series?

Jimmy: That would definitely be fair, yes. I'll even let you pick the year.

Barry: What am I picking?

Jimmy: I'll let you pick the year the game is in Madison. The other four we'll do in Milwaukee.

Barry: Are you even listening to me?

Jimmy: Of course! I thought we were looking for a fair agreement. It looks to me as though the previous contracts - a 4-for-1 followed by what amounts to a 7-for-2 - were hosted frequently in Madison. In the interest of tipping the scales for Lady Justice (I love her mural in the Capitol building), I thought you were looking to even it out.

Barry: That's ridiculous. We're in the Big Ten. You're in the Horizon League.

Jimmy: Yes. I don't know what you mean.

Barry: We're a high-major; and not just any high-major, but one with a $150 million budget and multiple Final Fours in the last few years.

Jimmy: Oh that's cool. Are you inviting us to join the Big Ten?

Barry: What? Are you really that dense?

Jimmy: I'm just trying to find out how it benefits my program to make us essentially fill out a lease for a locker room in the Kohl Center. You have a great program, I'm not going to tell you that you're not. But you're going to have to get it through your head that you are doing what's best for your program. I'm doing what's best for mine. There is absolutely a benefit to playing the Wisconsin Badgers in men's basketball. It's our flagship sport. Many of our fans are also Badger fans. There's plenty of local interest in the outcome of such a game.

Barry: So why not play us in a series that recognizes the differences in our programs?

Jimmy: Here's the thing - you value your program. I value mine. It wasn't all that long ago that the Fieldhouse at UW was less than half-full for men's basketball games - you should know, you were working there. My goal is to stand in the future and look upon these years with the same sense of pride in how far we've come. You've been to a couple Final Fours recently; that's wonderful. I want to do that too.

*Barry snickers*

Jimmy: Really? Because it wasn't all that long ago your Big Ten Badgers went on a 47-year hiatus between NCAA Tournament appearances. You can say that in this moment we're in two very different places as programs, and that's correct. But your program didn't climb out of that rut by signing a 4-for-1 with Duke. You climbed out of it by investing in the program. The Kohl Center was a great jump start for a stagnant program - it helped Dick Bennett recruit the players that hung that Final Four banner in 2000. They didn't spend their careers going to Cameron Indoor every year because of the "differences," just as I'm not going to sign a deal that forces my guys to bus up to Madison every December.

*Barry makes a mental note to get alumni legislators to kill Milwaukee practice facility*

Jimmy: Like it or not, I value my program just as you value yours. It's about time that Milwaukee starts working for Milwaukee. So, all jokes aside, if you're ready to sign a 2-for-1, let's do it. There's your concession. I will concede that due to the benefit of playing your program being more substantial for us, we'll play one game at home and two games on the road. Anything more heavily weighted in Bucky's favor and it doesn't make sense for Pounce.

Barry: Okay then. I guess if I want something done, I'm just going to have to call Amanda Braun.

Jimmy: Too late, she gave away those dates in a 2-for-1 with Eastern Michigan.
    In negotiating with Marquette or Wisconsin, whoever sits on our side of the table has to value our program at the level we strive to be. Because if the plan is to just sign something because some sore fans want to play the Badgers or Golden Eagles again, then all that talk about Jeter and his staff not doing good enough is a load of ********.

I mean, we all know it's a load of ********. We also know Amanda's going to agree to a shitty deal. My only regret is she's still contemplating our future schedule and not updating her resume to include "2013-2016 - Director of Athletics, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Took crappy situation and dropped a nuclear bomb onto it."