Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘Milwaukee is the most segregated, racist place I’ve ever experienced in my life’

‘Milwaukee is the most segregated, racist place I’ve ever experienced in my life’

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/bu...r-experienced/

Ouch! Did I miss this - happened last week.

Not sure who he has been working with in his short time in Milwaukee, but this may be one of the more stupid things for a guy whose company is benefiting from a boat load of public money to build a new stadium to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Not sure who he has been working with in his short time in Milwaukee, but this may be one of the more stupid things for a guy whose company is benefiting from a boat load of public money to build a new stadium to say.
    "You people are a bunch of racists that are stuck in the past, but thanks for the arena and remember to own the future with a 10 game, half season, or full season ticket package!"

Is he wrong? Not sure. Great business to say that? Heck, no.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Is he wrong? Not sure. Great business to say that? Heck, no.
    I don't like the racist quote, as on that end I don't think Milwaukee is much more or less than anywhere else. Of course that could just be my experience and the people with whom I normally associate.
    I really just think it was terrible business and poorly worded. You can think something (opinion) but you need to address it differently, especially after wooing all people in Milwaukee to pay up for the benefit of his business.

I think it stems from the fact that the bad areas in the city are not getting better and have not for a long time. Most cities that are growing the bad areas have been getting better over the years and more money has gone into those areas. I Graduated in 91. 24th and kilbourn was pretty scary back then and it was right on the edge of a Major university. What is it like now 25 years later and 3 blocks off campus? Has the money and redevelopment started going into the poor neighborhoods is all the money just going back inside of MU's border and the lakefront areas? ETC. that is how I took it. These are New York guys and Look at the bad areas in New York 25 years ago and what they look like today. Brooklyn, All the jersey cities that border the Hudson, areas above Central park ETC. all have had money poor into those area's over the last 10-20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KMWTRUCKS View Post
    I think it stems from the fact that the bad areas in the city are not getting better and have not for a long time. Most cities that are growing the bad areas have been getting better over the years and more money has gone into those areas. I Graduated in 91. 24th and kilbourn was pretty scary back then and it was right on the edge of a Major university. What is it like now 25 years later and 3 blocks off campus? Has the money and redevelopment started going into the poor neighborhoods is all the money just going back inside of MU's border and the lakefront areas? ETC. that is how I took it. These are New York guys and Look at the bad areas in New York 25 years ago and what they look like today. Brooklyn, All the jersey cities that border the Hudson, areas above Central park ETC. all have had money poor into those area's over the last 10-20 years.

Parts of Milwaukee have gotten significantly better. Brewers Hill for instance. However what usually happens is that when one part gets better, another gets worse. (Northwest side, Sherman Park). In your New York example, while places like Brooklyn and Harlem have rebounded, parts of Queen and the Bronx have slipped quite a bit over the last generation.

This has been the case since cities have existed. It really isn't going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by KMWTRUCKS View Post
    Great points, but where money is being spent by the government does not make anyone or any city racist. Where the city and county spends their money is decided upon by the city and county officials, people who represent their areas/districts. When the city decides to put money into the lakefront, who is making that decision? Racist people or the elected officials representing their districts/neighborhoods? Saying that it is racist to put money into those things would suggest that the city & county officials are racist. That is untrue.

Is Milwaukee segregated? Yes, no question. Is Milwaukee racist? I don't believe it is.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast