Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marquette Athletics Marketing Falls Short Once Again

Marquette Athletics Marketing Falls Short Once Again

This announcement represents the lack of creativity emanating from the Marquette Athletics marketing efforts. I realize that the majority of alums live in Wisconsin and, likely, the Milwaukee metro area. That said there are many thousands of us living around the country if not around the world. Partnering with TWC Sportschannel, particularly when it comes to programming like your flagship program's coach's show, severely limits your audience. I find it hard to understand why MU cannot partner with the Fox Sports affiliate in light of the Big East's ongoing relationship with Fox Sports. At the very least there should be a way to access this program via the web with TWC does not provide. I fondly recall the days when Buzz's coach's show was broadcast on a number of sports affiliates with Big East ties such as MASN out of DC/Baltimore and Sports Channel New York. I've railed before about the inability to acquire MU swag outside of a 20 mile radius of Milwaukee (OK that might be a bit of hyperbole but not much as I recently saw a tweet from a MU Athletics person excitedly announcing the discovery of MU gear at a Kohl's location in Menominee Falls. Really? WTF?). I fail to see as a "Jordan Brand" school why we don't do a better job of leveraging Nike to get our gear distributed to a broader geographic footprint but hey, maybe that's just me?

http://www.gomarquette.com/genrel/090816aaa.html

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    I fail to see as a "Jordan Brand" school why we don't do a better job of leveraging Nike to get our gear distributed to a broader geographic footprint but hey, maybe that's just me?
    I've never understood this. MU has some sweet swag with the Jordan partnership, yet you can't find it anywhere. If you see any apparel in stores it's low end crap you'd expect to find on the clearance rack at the spirit shop on campus.

Instead of bitching about this on a message board where no one will have an appropriate answer for you, why con't you send an email the to AD or the Assistant AD. I am sure they will gladly give you the reasons why a contract was drawn up with TWC as opposed to another outlet.

Here is a link to people you can reach out to. Wasn't that hard to find. Good luck.

http://www.gomarquette.com/athletic-...etic-dept.html

It's a great question, but I don't think the answer is marketing falls short. I'm willing to bet this TWC option is about more money they are willing to pay.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    It's a great question, but I don't think the answer is marketing falls short. I'm willing to bet this TWC option is about more money they are willing to pay.
    Yep, could do something on gomarquette.com, but that would be negative $$ wise.

This could and should be offered a streaming video with a pay component. A win for everyone by doing 21st Century marketing. Hello Brain Trust.

FWIW the Athletics Department and Advancement are well aware of all the messages on all of the MU message boards. There was a thread here (or maybe Doddsy's site) about one year ago quite critical of certain things done by the Athletics people. One of the people at Athletics, not a senior person, just laughed when we discussed it. This person told me the senior people had read the post and were curious about where the ideas come from, sometimes so devoid of reality. The point is all of the threads are read and if there is a salient post, it is distributed among senior people in Advancement and/or Athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    Instead of bitching about this on a message board where no one will have an appropriate answer for you, why con't you send an email the to AD or the Assistant AD. I am sure they will gladly give you the reasons why a contract was drawn up with TWC as opposed to another outlet.

Here is a link to people you can reach out to. Wasn't that hard to find. Good luck.

http://www.gomarquette.com/athletic-...etic-dept.html

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaWarrior View Post
    This could and should be offered a streaming video with a pay component. A win for everyone by doing 21st Century marketing. Hello Brain Trust.
    Someone is going to pay for soccer/volleyball content? There is only the Rockhurst exhibition BB game in this package.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    FWIW the Athletics Department and Advancement are well aware of all the messages on all of the MU message boards. There was a thread here (or maybe Doddsy's site) about one year ago quite critical of certain things done by the Athletics people. One of the people at Athletics, not a senior person, just laughed when we discussed it. This person told me the senior people had read the post and were curious about where the ideas come from, sometimes so devoid of reality. The point is all of the threads are read and if there is a salient post, it is distributed among senior people in Advancement and/or Athletics.

So that begs the questions...

Are the ideas truly "devoid of reality?" Or are the senior people too close minded to accept new ideas?

My guess is that its about 90% the former, and 10% the latter. In this case, they likely realize that the audience for televised coaching shows is small and shrinking, so its PR value isn't all that important. Instead they are going to go with whatever they have determined makes the most $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    This announcement represents the lack of creativity emanating from the Marquette Athletics marketing efforts. I realize that the majority of alums live in Wisconsin and, likely, the Milwaukee metro area. That said there are many thousands of us living around the country if not around the world. Partnering with TWC Sportschannel, particularly when it comes to programming like your flagship program's coach's show, severely limits your audience. I find it hard to understand why MU cannot partner with the Fox Sports affiliate in light of the Big East's ongoing relationship with Fox Sports. At the very least there should be a way to access this program via the web with TWC does not provide. I fondly recall the days when Buzz's coach's show was broadcast on a number of sports affiliates with Big East ties such as MASN out of DC/Baltimore and Sports Channel New York. I've railed before about the inability to acquire MU swag outside of a 20 mile radius of Milwaukee (OK that might be a bit of hyperbole but not much as I recently saw a tweet from a MU Athletics person excitedly announcing the discovery of MU gear at a Kohl's location in Menominee Falls. Really? WTF?). I fail to see as a "Jordan Brand" school why we don't do a better job of leveraging Nike to get our gear distributed to a broader geographic footprint but hey, maybe that's just me?

http://www.gomarquette.com/genrel/090816aaa.html
    Are you in reaction mode or do you have a copy of the contract? Did Marquette really sell the rights to the coach's show to a black box with no recourse? How do you know that neither party will put these shows online for streaming later on? Where are the facts - emotion is of little value here.

The truth is that the athletic department has been putting out a lot of content on YouTube. For the last month there were 2 minute profiles by Wojo on each player. MUTV started to profile each of our opponents. Why can't this be part of a professionally done series that is broadcast first and places on YouTube or elsewhere? Just the facts, please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast