Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marquette Athletics Marketing Falls Short Once Again

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    So that begs the questions...

Are the ideas truly "devoid of reality?" Or are the senior people too close minded to accept new ideas?

My guess is that its about 90% the former, and 10% the latter. In this case, they likely realize that the audience for televised coaching shows is small and shrinking, so its PR value isn't all that important. Instead they are going to go with whatever they have determined makes the most $$$.
    The point is that they read and understand what goes on here and that posting here often gets the point across. They do listen, of course. The parts that are "devoid of reality" are read and appropriately mocked since quite often posters have no clue what is going on at the AL and Zilber. They are pretty smart people, not the fools people like to portray when it seems decisions are against any given posters wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    The point is that they read and understand what goes on here and that posting here often gets the point across. They do listen, of course. The parts that are "devoid of reality" are read and appropriately mocked since quite often posters have no clue what is going on at the AL and Zilber. They are pretty smart people, not the fools people like to portray when it seems decisions are against any given posters wishes.
    "Every job is easy, except mine!"
    -People in general

I'm not suggesting, for a minute, that the job of those, in marketing, is easy. I think I know very well what is involved since I've worked in marketing and public relations for many years (actually, you could say my start came as a student worker in the sports information office during my 79-83 years at MU where I worked with John Dodds among others). Currently I am a Vice President with responsibility for Marketing and Business Development for a national commercial builder.

I found it a little sad when someone, whom I believe is associated with MU Athletics, posted their excitement that they found MU swag at a Kohl's location in suburban Milwaukee. Seriously? MU gear should easily be accessible in the metro area and beyond. I travel frequently and see other universities, who lack the profile of Marquette, on shelves of sporting good retailers. Perhaps more glaringly is the complete lack of MU apparel and other items from national sites that offer legally licensed collegiate clothing and other items. MU likes to trump its Jordan Brand affiliation (one of a select group of schools to wear the brand) but how has that relationship helped to expand Marquette's brand?

When it comes to programming, such as the coaches' show (which will be exclusively aired on TWC), I think the exposure the university gains by having this programming available to a broader audience, via outlets such as Sports Channel New York, MASN and other Big East affiliated outlets is more beneficial than what is likely a very small rights fee paid by TWC. At the very least if they had signed the agreement with the Wisconsin FSN outlet it would have made the programming available to satellite and other audiences, outside of Wisconsin, with access to that channel. Finally, I would think that the university could post the programming to their gomarquette site after it had aired on TWC; that way TWC gets the Wisconsin audience and first airing rights while the rest of the Marquette Nation, around the world, can view the content via the web. Just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    I travel frequently and see other universities, who lack the profile of Marquette, on shelves of sporting good retailers. Perhaps more glaringly is the complete lack of MU apparel and other items from national sites that offer legally licensed collegiate clothing and other items. MU likes to trump its Jordan Brand affiliation (one of a select group of schools to wear the brand) but how has that relationship helped to expand Marquette's brand?
    This!^ Living on the east coast I accept that I will not find MU wear near me and am willing to go online. However the lack of choices online is downright embarrassing. Many smaller, D3 schools appear but not MU.

It's not just at stores but even at the Spirit Shop. My wife wanted a gold zip up hoodie, so I ran to the Spirit Shop since it's 10 minutes from home. Nothing. Very few gold sweatshirts, no zip up hoodies. The selection there is fine if you're looking for mugs, car stickers, or miscellaneous stuff, but the actual clothing selection is incredibly limited. And frankly, online isn't much better.

I get the money aspect, but I also hate the TWC affiliation, especially for non revenue sports. As more and more bars go to DirecTV for NFL packages, putting your content on Time Warner not only eliminates your broader audience from seeing it, it also makes it more difficult for locals that don't have Time Warner.

It's not just at stores but even at the Spirit Shop. My wife wanted a gold zip up hoodie, so I ran to the Spirit Shop since it's 10 minutes from home. Nothing. Very few gold sweatshirts, no zip up hoodies. The selection there is fine if you're looking for mugs, car stickers, or miscellaneous stuff, but the actual clothing selection is incredibly limited. And frankly, online isn't much better.

I get the money aspect, but I also hate the TWC affiliation, especially for non revenue sports. As more and more bars go to DirecTV for NFL packages, putting your content on Time Warner not only eliminates your broader audience from seeing it, it also makes it more difficult for locals that don't have Time Warner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12