Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BE Schedule

African-Americans are more than a little OK with this. Of course, our recruiting base is mostly African-American kids. Not only are big companies shut down but also urban public schools and most government offices--State of Wisconsin, Milwaukee County and City of Milwaukee, for instance. I think I am taking that day off to watch the BIG EAST all day. Honestly, I am more enticed by this than taking the day off to watch the 1st (or is it 2nd?) round of NCAA Tourney.
    "He understands Justice under God"--Augustus Cornelius Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    Look, not every single BE BB fan is a lawyer, doctor, educator or works in a large office that will be closed. I know why you like it, you'll be off work that day. You fail to see that EVERYONE is off New Years eve(except retail) though. what has the better chance of viewership??
    I'm a doctor and my wife a lawyer and we have to work on NYE not like those fancy country folk who get that holiday off.
    "In the words of Bill Simmons, "Because that's how we roll be-yotch!"" -IWB

I work for a big company in Milwaukee, and we don't get that day off. I plan on taking vacation that day, plus a nice way to spend my birthday. I like the idea. Going up against Bowl Games was a losing battle, but worth a shot. College games get pretty low ratings in the grand scheme of things, so this seems pretty low risk to try to generate some buzz. This is especially if a decent chunk of people have off and it's the only College BBall on.

I am glad it's a road game and we don't have to risk lower attendance for a typically good team.
    The artist formerly known as cheebs09

I suspect this will be marketed heavily by Fox and FS1. Great for the conference, great for MU, but it's bad for Iceman, so it's a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I suspect this will be marketed heavily by Fox and FS1. Great for the conference, great for MU, but it's bad for Iceman, so it's a good idea.
    Corrected that for you.
    #BringShakaHome

Playing a marathon is a terrible idea on NYE. The Peach and Fiesta Bowl College Football Playoff starts at 2pm. Plus, it's NYE. TV viewership is bad. The marathon on Jan. 2 last year was much better than the first two years on NYE.

The NBA is heavy with day games on MLK day. The Bucks play at the Bradley Center at 2:30pm. TNT has a doubleheader with the Cavs at Warriors.

37% of Americans don't work on MLK day.

As for Georgetown being the last game of the marathon. They have too, as the Wizards play at the Verizon Center in the day.

Regular season college basketball isn't the NFL or college football. It's not a ratings draw. The outstanding thing for FS1 is there are zero college hoops games on ESPN in the day. Let's hope the NFL Fox playoff game does a promo or two.
    Last edited by MU/Panther; 09-12-2016 at 08:07 PM.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    You would....a majority of people work on MLK day...I don't see how they think this will help viewership/ratings. Terrible idea...unless of course you get one of the late afternoon/evening slots
    Terrible idea, huh? Other conferences play day games on MLK Day. Also, Marquette hosted Louisville during the day on MLK Day five or so years ago. Were you complaining back then too?

I don't have the day off, but I'll be taking a PTO day. Perhaps a road trip to Indy. Should be a fun day!

At least for many MLK day is a holiday. New Year's Eve is not a holiday. I also like not running up against college football, hoops will almost always lose that battle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast