Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule

We await the days ahead with bated breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    We await the days ahead with bated breath.
    Yep. I have never been more excited for a weekend ...

I think it's incredibly dumb. Here was Mike Broeker's response:

@brewcity77 trying to support sales efforts by creating bit awareness daily. Your feedback is noted. Sometimes things work, sometimes not.

Two problems here. First, season tickets aren't on sale yet, so how does this support sales efforts? Second, how does announcing unnamed opponents and games that will be played across the country increase interest for tickets sold to games in Milwaukee?

Fairly common marketing strategy. You may not like it, but its not for you. There's a limited amount of content they have to push, need to be present everyday in people's lives to have long term impact (eventual ticket sales). Single commercials, single pieces of content don't have long lasting impact.

It's a dated strategy that only works when you have content to offer. We're on day five and we know one exhibition opponent. They're pushing an empty wagon.

If we want to go back to the way it used to be, we can just wait until Labor Day when the schedule is announced. I find this argument odd. Who cares how and when they release it? Get the info out and discuss. I think the annual scheduling criticism of Mike Broeker is ridiculous. Here, he responds to you and that isn't good enough? Calling Broeker, by implication, incredibly dumb is just plain rude. He is kind enough to give you an answer to your criticism and you attack him again?

I believe you have passed jaybee and his hate for all things crystal ball with your hate for all things related to schedule. Like he said, he's trying his best to come up with some extra marketing benefit with content that normally has very little value. Very odd to get worked up over this.

Well, some new news today.
    Tuesday, November 22
    2K Classic Game
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by dw3dw3dw3 View Post
    I believe you have passed jaybee and his hate for all things crystal ball with your hate for all things related to schedule. Like he said, he's trying his best to come up with some extra marketing benefit with content that normally has very little value. Very odd to get worked up over this.
    I am always (this year is no exception) excited for the schedule. However the way they release it is stupid. It's like click-bait without the bait. Further, most of the schedule is known or semi-known opponents (8/13). They're trying to create news that was already broken. And the news they could be breaking apparently isn't available to them yet (2K). I'd be curious if anyone else does this two-week release process, and if so, does it work to generate STH sales?

The only saving grace right now is at least every other date will actually have an opponent name attached to it.

Maybe some semblance of intrigue based on this tweet:

Quote Originally Posted by @MarquetteMBB
    #mubb 2nd @2KClassic home matchup will open 3-game homestand & run of 7-of-8 outings at @BMOHBC
    So looking at the games...

1) Nov 11: Vanderbilt
    2) Nov 14: 2K Home Game
    3) Nov 17: 2K NYC Game
    4) Nov 18: 2K NYC Game
    5) Nov 22: 2K Home Game (First of three game homestand and 7/8 at home)
    6) Nov 27: Likely Buy Game (Second of three game homestand, Sunday better than Saturday with students returning after Thanksgiving)
    7) Nov 29-Dec 1: Likely Buy Game (Third of three game homestand)
    8) Dec 4: Georgia (Road)
    9) Dec 6/7: Likely Buy Game (Tune-up before Wisconsin, fourth of 7/8 at home)
    10) Dec 10: Wisconsin (fifth of 7/8 at home)
    11) Dec 13/14: Likely Buy Game (sixth of 7/8 at home)
    12) Dec 17: Likely Buy Game (seventh of 7/8 at home, possibly Fresno State for weekend crowd)
    13) Dec 20/21: ?????

If that tweet is accurate, we are either only playing 12 non-con games (which would probably eliminate either the Dec 6/7 or Dec 13/14 game) or there's another opponent we don't yet know on the road or at a neutral site. I've never known of Marquette to only play 12 when 13 were possible. We might have another later-in-the-season game like Stetson last year but that seems unlikely after how poorly that was received. Have to figure that Dec 20/21 date is likely as the team would want to get a game in before the Christmas break, and would also want a last tune-up before the likely start of Big East play on Dec 28.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast