Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McKay to MU

McKay to MU

Per @JucoRecruiting: Jameel McKay (2013/F/Indian Hills CC) has given a verbal commitment to Marquette after taking an unofficial visit yesterday.

Big get for Buzz, fills a need they had. Love the local 2013 class!

I think we need to see it in the JS before we can believe this is true. (tic)

McKay, Burton and the Wilson's -- at the very least this should draw some additional fans with the local players. The AD will be happy that Buzz is saving some on the recruiting budget. Coach won't have to charter a plane to monitor Looney and Stone. Even with the increase in SE Wisconsin players I doubt the JS will step up coverage. It's not as important as water polo.

So does this mean that JUCO's are no longer off limits?

It is not that Jucos are off limits, it is whether or not the stand a realistic chance of graduating from Marquette.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Should we expect future JUCOs to more likely commit after their freshman year? Obviously the guys with 3 years of eligibility, like DJO, Butler, and TJ it's not difficult to get them up to speed for graduation. But as you were mentioning with McKay, his early commitment allows more time for him to get his classes in order so he can receive guidance to maximize the transferability of courses he takes at Indian Hills, while also maximizing what he can do during the summer sessions.

Obviously Jae was a nightmare scenario because of the non-accredited year, and I'm sure him and Buycks still not having graduated doesn't reflect as nicely as administration would like. Seems like 2-year guys would be okay as long as they are taking classes that will transfer for at least 1 full year.

I don't think so, only in unique cases will someone from a Juco commit early. McKay is from Milwaukee and wanted to be at MU for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    I don't think so, only in unique cases will someone from a Juco commit early. McKay is from Milwaukee and wanted to be at MU for many years.
    Don't know if there's any way to know for sure, but do you think he commits without Chew on staff? Or would it have likely happened regardless? Just wondering if Chew tipped the scales in MU's direction.

Would have happened regardless IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast