Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HULU: Developing a streaming service including FS1 for cord cutters

Not really sure about that. How much are you willing to pay to watch one show? Do shows with great ratings become AlaCarte some day?

Feels like the death of network programming at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Awilhelmscream View Post
    Again, to echo someone above, Sony VUE is the way to go. No contract, month to month, streaming cable service. The biggest package they offer is 49.99/month and it comes with all of the sports channels the wife and I need. Once football and basketball are over we go down to the middle package because the wife needs AMC for Walking Dead. You can adjust accordingly with that which is real nice.

I want to say the premium channels are $5-8/month if you want those. The content in the packages vary from area to area but definitely check it out.
    Wow, just look it up. Other than not having CBSSN, they do have most sports channels.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Wow, just look it up. Other than not having CBSSN, they do have most sports channels.
    We actually get CBSSN here in South Carolina. We're missing some things my buddies up north get though.

Quote Originally Posted by Awilhelmscream View Post
    We actually get CBSSN here in South Carolina. We're missing some things my buddies up north get though.
    Good to pass on, for those who have only one TV. I'm guessing if you have 2 to 4 TV's this is not the way to go?
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdoc View Post
    Not really sure about that. How much are you willing to pay to watch one show? Do shows with great ratings become AlaCarte some day?

Feels like the death of network programming at some point.
    It wouldn't be by show, it would be by channel, so for example if you want ESPN you would be X amount of dollars per month, if you also want FS1 you would pay Y amount per month... So you pick and choose and maybe your bill comes out to $70/month as opposed to $140 and you get just the channels you want.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Good to pass on, for those who have only one TV. I'm guessing if you have 2 to 4 TV's this is not the way to go?
    Not necessarily true. I personally play video games so I've got a PS4 and PS3 each in different rooms at this point. We're going to buy the Amazon Fire box for the other TV we have. The way I understand it is you can get the service if you have a Sony Smart TV through their app store, the Playstation App store, and the Amazon App store for the Fire Box. Fire Boxes are under $100.

Right now our cable bill is $115/month because we have to get the ridiculous sports package down here to watch our sports teams. A $60 reduction in our monthly bill will pay for that Fire Box pretty quickly. Not sure what the performance difference is between the 3 options. I know you can tell a slight difference in performance on the PS4 vs the PS3 simply due to processing power but not sure on the others.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-TV.../dp/B00U3FPN4U

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    It wouldn't be by show, it would be by channel, so for example if you want ESPN you would be X amount of dollars per month, if you also want FS1 you would pay Y amount per month... So you pick and choose and maybe your bill comes out to $70/month as opposed to $140 and you get just the channels you want.
    I understand that, but I guess I wasn't specific enough. Would you buy a whole channel just for one show?

Quote Originally Posted by farmerdoc View Post
    I understand that, but I guess I wasn't specific enough. Would you buy a whole channel just for one show?
    I mean that is a personal decision for everyone, for me I really only watch TV to watch sports, I have no shows I watch so I would want FS1, NFL Sunday Ticket, & ESPN. That's about it... instead I pay DirectTV to get a million channels I never watch.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    I mean that is a personal decision for everyone, for me I really only watch TV to watch sports, I have no shows I watch so I would want FS1, NFL Sunday Ticket, & ESPN. That's about it... instead I pay DirectTV to get a million channels I never watch.
    For a family, I could see the Ala Carte style being very expensive. I don't see cable/satellite going anywhere too fast. If the streaming services offer package/ala carte combos, that might make a dent in the market more quickly.

I could see very popular shows going to on demand/alacarte status.

Goung alacarte will create some interesting combinations. For example, Caribou's mixing of sports channels, the leggy supermodel channel and the various Real Housewives of Vilas County shows would be, um, curious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast