Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MU Press Release on Wally

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Sorry guys, I do not like this cr@p at all. I do not care for your spin, I see it differently and am a bit disgusted with Wojo and my alma mater right now. Just got an email tonight reminding my of my points for the reseating. Frankly, am wondering right now if I even want to reseat.
    So you are deciding to believe what you are reading on Internet message boards and giving no thought to what Wojo and MU's side of the story is?

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    So you are deciding to believe what you are reading on Internet message boards and giving no thought to what Wojo and MU's side of the story is?
    Especially when all of the reasonable voices on the boards (the few that remain) have highlighted that there is a lot more to this move.
    #BringShakaHome

Whatever happened, sucks and looks bad for MU. What should I expect though, just about every move the program has made since the end of the Crean era has been bad.

I agree with Mac. Wally was invited here to play basketball. If it was insinuated that Wally would be allowed to fully participate in track, or if Sunday was the first time issues with his track participation were discussed, then Marquette should hold up its end of the deal. It's not Wally's fault that Wojo didn't recruit a power forward.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I agree with Mac. Wally was invited here to play basketball. If it was insinuated that Wally would be allowed to fully participate in track, or if Sunday was the first time issues with his track participation were discussed, then Marquette should hold up its end of the deal. It's not Wally's fault that Wojo didn't recruit a power forward.
    Don't think the 2 sport stuff was working so well. Suspect that Wojo told Wally to concentrate on just one sport if he wanted to play BB. In short, be all in. Obviously, Wally did not agree. And, I certainly doubt that the subject first came up on Sunday. My guess is as good as yours.

It certainly appears at this point that his participation on the track team and his preparation for the Olympic trials are not/were not the major issue but that "overbearing helicopter parents" was the issue, at least that is what Todd Smith's posting of the article would lead one to believe. That certainly could not be a coincidence in terms of the what and the when.

Here is a post from JD's board. The poster is known by Ted.....he is the son of a former MU great and played for Bo Ryan.
    Ps. Ted correct me if I'm wrong.

Hoops1212

Ignore this Member
    Nominate | Report
    Posted: Yesterday 6:49 PM
    Re: Wally Ellenson Post Rating (9 votes)
    I know this for sure, Wally didn't get his scholarship taken from him. Coaches typically meet at the end of the season with players and give them an idea where they see them for the upcoming year. This is pretty common. Wally's time on the floor next year would have been very little and therefore he was upset and decided to give up his scholarship. Sometimes the truth hurts! Instead of appreciating the opportunity, it sounds like someone (or in this case an entire family) felt they should be given playing time. Smoke and Mirrors? The Ellenson's got everything and more from Marquette.

The best thing that could happen now is Wally focuses on high jumping full time, and has a great effort that gets him a shot at the Olympic trials and he goes from there.

Track is crazy. We all celebrate a guy that wins or medals in the Olympics, but it is always a little about the luck of the timing. With his sole focus on high jumping, and if Henry gets to peak season jumping at the right time, he could very well be on the Olympic team. Of course timing, and the luck of having your best day on that one day is needed.

Old school story. I remember IWB running track in high school. It was the 200, and IWB came in second but was not close to the winner. I told IWB he ran a great race, but IWB was upset at getting smoked (if you can say that coming in 2nd). I said to him - yeah, but you came in 2nd to Floyd Heard.

Floyd Heard was one of the best 100 and 200 runners in the world for a period of time, but his best years just didn't happen to be Olympic years.
    Luck, timing, and one track meet every 4 years determines who gets a shot at the Olympics.

Here's to hoping that with Wally focusing on high jumping, he has his best efforts when needed to get a shot at the Olympic trials, and then PRs when it counts to get to the Olympic team. I'm sure all MU hoop fans will be pulling for Wally to have his best day when it counts.

Good luck and jump high Wally - we will be watching and cheering for you no matter what!

I can attest, with track athletic children, that timing is critical in the training. Peak a week early or late and you are a memory. Tough sport. Their competition is other athletes training. So now think of what their training may be for that one shot.

Suzy Favor said the year she took the fall in the Olympics that she knew she had peaked two weeks before the race. Knew she would not have that extra gear to finish and when she did not, took the fall.
    Last edited by MUMac; 04-22-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Old school story. I remember IWB running track in high school. It was the 200, and IWB came in second but was not close to the winner. I told IWB he ran a great race, but IWB was upset at getting smoked (if you can say that coming in 2nd). I said to him - yeah, but you came in 2nd to Floyd Heard.
    Almost believable story until you said IWB was running.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast