Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    The OP was about defense not rebounding. Your insistence upon being the smartest person in the room is ... off-putting.
    The OP definitely asked about rebounding in his post... a bit aggressive on your part here.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by MUAlphaBangura View Post
    My take on Brew's comments are that if MU is planning on playing KR at the 4, he better damn well rebound the ball because nobody else will. Doesn't really matter how well he can guard the opposing 4(which imo would be a for sure compromise), that spot has to rebound for us. Yet KR has shown no ability to be a rebounder in his collegiate career. But many here continue to think KR can play minutes at the 4. I agree with Brew on this, and as I stated previously, I really don't think he will be playing the 4 spot for any extended minutes barring an inability to recruit one this spring. If he is getting large minutes at the 4, we are in trouble.
    While he may not play what we consider the traditional 4, I can't see him transferring here if he didn't think he was going to play a lot of minutes.
    Based on last year, I think JJ gets plenty of time at the 3. I would think Hauser will get some back up minutes at the '4' too. I could see KR getting time at the 3 too, but I would think JJ gets a lot of minutes, so I think KR will have to play the 4 to get minutes.

HC, Rowsey, Wilson will get the minutes at the 2 and maybe even point with Carter and Howard getting the minutes at the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    While he may not play what we consider the traditional 4, I can't see him transferring here if he didn't think he was going to play a lot of minutes.
    Based on last year, I think JJ gets plenty of time at the 3. I would think Hauser will get some back up minutes at the '4' too. I could see KR getting time at the 3 too, but I would think JJ gets a lot of minutes, so I think KR will have to play the 4 to get minutes.

HC, Rowsey, Wilson will get the minutes at the 2 and maybe even point with Carter and Howard getting the minutes at the point.
    I agree that he wouldn't transfer here is there weren't opportunity for minutes. But the guy has shown nothing in terms of rebounding ability. Maybe he could defend 4s, but if that's the case, either he needs to seriously step up or we need someone like Haanif or Jajuan to crash the glass hard because both have shown better acumen for rebounding.

Honestly, the guy that looks like he might be most important to next year's team right now is Sandy. He's the only G/F player that has shown any real ability to go get a loose ball (other than Wally, but he didn't prove he could play big minutes) and I just can't see Wojo running out a lineup that can't rebound after seeing the past year. Our coaching staff isn't stupid, they know we have serious rebounding deficiencies and know it needs to be addressed.

The Reinhardt recruitment, more than anything, just makes me think there's another shoe to drop. There's no one on this roster I really want to see leave, but I just don't see any way that Reinhardt, JJ, Duane, Haanif, Traci, Rowsey, Cohen, Howard, Hauser, Wally, and Anim share 160 minutes at the 1-4 positions. Especially as the first 7 of those 11 players averaged 188.4 minutes combined in their most recent seasons of eligibility.

This is all about roster makeup. It's been noted we are still clearly after Young and other transfer targets. We're full up. Someone has to be leaving, more likely 2-3 someones. We are incredibly thin up front, even if we go four guards because when you do that you need some guys to play bigger than their size, especially on the glass. But adding Young and another immediately eligible forward means subtracting two of those eleven listed above.

And guys...you don't have to defend me against zerg. His natural response as we've all seen 1000 times when he doesn't have anything to say is to lash out with personal attacks and zero substance responses. I won't be offended by someone who decides that being a snarky ass is preferable to engaging actual discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I agree that he wouldn't transfer here is there weren't opportunity for minutes. But the guy has shown nothing in terms of rebounding ability. Maybe he could defend 4s, but if that's the case, either he needs to seriously step up or we need someone like Haanif or Jajuan to crash the glass hard because both have shown better acumen for rebounding.

Honestly, the guy that looks like he might be most important to next year's team right now is Sandy. He's the only G/F player that has shown any real ability to go get a loose ball (other than Wally, but he didn't prove he could play big minutes) and I just can't see Wojo running out a lineup that can't rebound after seeing the past year. Our coaching staff isn't stupid, they know we have serious rebounding deficiencies and know it needs to be addressed.

The Reinhardt recruitment, more than anything, just makes me think there's another shoe to drop. There's no one on this roster I really want to see leave, but I just don't see any way that Reinhardt, JJ, Duane, Haanif, Traci, Rowsey, Cohen, Howard, Hauser, Wally, and Anim share 160 minutes at the 1-4 positions. Especially as the first 7 of those 11 players averaged 188.4 minutes combined in their most recent seasons of eligibility.

This is all about roster makeup. It's been noted we are still clearly after Young and other transfer targets. We're full up. Someone has to be leaving, more likely 2-3 someones. We are incredibly thin up front, even if we go four guards because when you do that you need some guys to play bigger than their size, especially on the glass. But adding Young and another immediately eligible forward means subtracting two of those eleven listed above.

And guys...you don't have to defend me against zerg. His natural response as we've all seen 1000 times when he doesn't have anything to say is to lash out with personal attacks and zero substance responses. I won't be offended by someone who decides that being a snarky ass is preferable to engaging actual discussion.

To me, one way to offset the rebounding issue(s) is to not miss shots and run, run run(easy baskets in transition)...at least that takes care of the offensive rebounding issues. MU will have enough really good shooters on the floor now that they will be able to light it up from distance which will be a big help. I also think WOJO now has a roster that will alow him to play the running style he truly prefers, and perhaps we will see some pressing and trapping as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MU_Iceman View Post
    To me, one way to offset the rebounding issue(s) is to not miss shots and run, run run(easy baskets in transition)...at least that takes care of the offensive rebounding issues. MU will have enough really good shooters on the floor now that they will be able to light it up from distance which will be a big help. I also think WOJO now has a roster that will alow him to play the running style he truly prefers, and perhaps we will see some pressing and trapping as well.
    There's definitely some merit to this. 14 of the top 23 teams in the country in terms of eFG% were in the tournament, and 4 of the remaining 9 would have been NCAA teams had tourney seedings held (Belmont, St. Mary's, North Florida) or not for sanctions (SMU). So if you're elite at scoring efficiently, you can overcome rebounding deficiencies (those 23 teams were all over the board in terms of rebounding, including 7 teams that were below average on both the offensive and defensive glass).

eFG% is king in terms of statistics, and if we among the top teams in that category, we'll always have a chance. That said, I just really hope we have some more big bodies to contest with the teams in this league.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12