Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday I finally got my first contact from the administration

First, let me say that while I am not buddies with Fran, I know him well enough to know he is typically not prone to rash actions. He was even part of a private emails exchange and asked to be removed to make sure he remained above reproach. I remember him all the way back to the Majerus lunch talk and coming away with the sense that he was a sober, reflective guy who was realistic about things, in comparison to my more aggressive and perhaps less realistic positions. Losing Fran is a bigger deal than many would understand.

As for the hard questions, I never expected any answers. I kinda already know them, which is why I didn't expect any real response with supporting facts. (Hey Fran....never ask a question you don't already know the answer to, right? )

Interestingly, I got a response from the Chancellor to an email I sent. It was dismissive, and read like a press release out of the AD, not the true feelings or thoughts of Mone. It even contained the oft repeated lie about how UWM funds the program at the highest level in the Horizon League.

It's clear that the problem here is more than AB. Mone needs to grow a set, or go somewhere else.
    Class of 1998
    Lubar School of Business - BBA Management Information Systems
    Formerly known as Nighthawk
    The Dark Hawk arose in a time of great turmoil to fight for truth, justice and the Panther way.

Quote Originally Posted by JGPanthers View Post
    If 99% of the Panther world didn't know Lavall Jordan's name 40 days ago, then that says much more about our collective lack of knowledge of the college basketball landscape than it does about Jordan. My guess is that 99% is a far exaggerated number. Coach Vall was well regarded as an assistant coach and in coaching circles and was paid as such. We are lucky to have him.
    Sadly, he is not nearly as lucky to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanrocks View Post
    Sadly, he is not nearly as lucky to be here.
    I tend to disagree (and think you do too); notwithstanding our Athletic Director, who clearly handled the entire situation about as poorly as she possibly could. I can only hope that Lavall can be a change agent in a department that is in desperate need. I realize this is asking too much of him, but one can hope that his success leads to greater things for our beloved program.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkHawkReturns View Post

It's clear that the problem here is more than AB. Mone needs to grow a set, or go somewhere else.
    Bingo, that's what I've been saying.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by JGPanthers View Post
    I tend to disagree (and think you do too); notwithstanding our Athletic Director, who clearly handled the entire situation about as poorly as she possibly could. I can only hope that Lavall can be a change agent in a department that is in desperate need. I realize this is asking too much of him, but one can hope that his success leads to greater things for our beloved program.
    I'm going to discuss my position about this with my good friend JG mostly off the board (Lord knows that things around here are frictious enough), but I will say for the record that L.J. is set up to fail in the current climate.

What happens if he goes 19-13 in his first year? That won't meet the standards of the current administration, correct? Will he be bought out? Put on watch? Is it possible for an A.D. to supervise a coach more than sending him a text message during a game?

Do these people realize that in order to post a top 100 RPI out of the Horizon League every year you'll need about 25 wins every year ... or was that just a flimsy excuse used to end the season and jettison the coach?
    Last edited by dylanrocks; 04-11-2016 at 05:07 PM.

dr, in fairness, those minimum expectation standards may have just been pureed horse manure invented to try to create a justification for a decision that had already been made, and that were offered to the press post facto to try to deflect the withering criticism of the manner and timing of that decision and of the gamesmanship that preceded it.

So LaVall is probably safe after year one no matter what happens.

But in year two, LaVall? Keep your attorney's and agent's numbers in your speed dial. You may need them.
    Last edited by BBF; 04-11-2016 at 12:46 PM.
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

BBF.

I'm getting tired of all this negativity. We get it, you don't like AB, you don't like Mone, you don't like Panther fans who disagree with you, you don't say anything positive about LaVall,you aren't going to support the program until...whenever. Yet you keep posting on both boards?? I agree with much of what you say, by the way. The way that AB handled everything was awful. I don't mind Jeter being fired, but just the way it went down was not good. But what is done is done, that is in the past now. If you don't want to be a Panther Fan anymore that is fine, you have that choice, I respect it. Go root for the Badgers or Marquette instead. But I'm just tired of hearing all this complaining, not just by you, but others too. Whether we like it or not, a new chapter of UWM (Uw-Milwaukee? Milwaukee? I never know what to call it) has begun. I for one, will still follow closely and go to games when I can. I like coach Jordan and see much potential in him. He earned a head coaching job (glad its ours) and deserve support.

First of all, let's get something straight. LaVall Jordan seems like a nice kid. I have absolutely nothing against him. But how would you describe him? Well, he's young, he has never been a head coach at any level, and he's a long time assistant for a Big Ten coach who teaches a slow, deliberate style. Does that sound at all familiar? If not, I invite you to watch his press conference or listen to his interview with Bob Michaels. Now close your eyes, and imagine that instead of LaVall Jordan, it's Rob Jeter talking. Because the things LaVall is saying are exactly what Rob has said a thousand times. The things LaVall values are exactly what Rob values. So let's be honest: we have been put through all this, endured this debacle among donors and sponsors, witnessed the fan base thrown into an uproar, so that we could get Rob Jeter 2.0! What is that about? And trust me, I'll be very happy if LaVall turns out to be as good a coach as Rob was. But what was that about?

Jimmy has suggested that it will all be different now, that LaVall will get the support withheld from Rob and (don't forget this, because it's critical) our players. That because LaVall is "her guy" the clouds will part and the sun will shine and the birds will sing. If he fails, she fails.

To which I will reply by reminding you of the parable of the scorpion and the frog.

Negativity? Try objectivity. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    Last edited by BBF; 04-11-2016 at 11:23 PM.
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    First of all, let's get something straight. LaVall Jordan seems like a nice kid. I have absolutely nothing against him. But how would you describe him? Well, he's young, he has never been a head coach at any level, and he's a long time assistant for a Big Ten coach who teaches a slow, deliberate style. Does that sound at all familiar? If not, I invite you to watch his press conference or listen to his interview with Bob Michaels. Now close your eyes, and imagine that instead of LaVall Jordan, it's Rob Jeter talking. Because the things LaVall is saying are exactly what Rob has said a thousand times. The things LaVall values are exactly what Rob values. So let's be honest: we have been put through all this, endured this debacle among donors and sponsors, witnessed the fan base thrown into an uproar, so that we could get Rob Jeter 2.0! What is that about? And trust me, I'll be very happy if LaVall turns out to be as good a coach as Rob was. But what was that about?

Jimmy has suggested that it will all be different now, that LaVall will get the support withheld from Rob and (don't forget this, because it's critical) our players. That because LaVall is "her guy" the clouds will part and the sun will shine and the birds will sing. If he fails, she fails.

To which I will reply by reminding you of the parable of the scorpion and the frog.

Negativity? Try objectivity. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    I think that you are letting your dislike of AB affect your view of Coach Jordan. The best thing you have ever said about him is that he is a "nice kid". He's 37 years old!! I do understand that he has a similar background to Jeter, but guess what, he is a completely different person. I don't know if he will be good or not. Neither do you. He could be worse, the same as, or better, than Jeter. I think Jeter was slightly above average. We knew what we were going to get with him. I don't mind taking a chance on a new coach, whoever that may be. You are only looking at their resumes. But hiring someone involves much more than that.

I see potential in him, because everything I have heard about him, has been good. Everyone that he has worked with, coached, people that know him personally, say very good things about him. I think we have reason to be excited about the future of Milwaukee basketball. Y

What I still don't get though, is why you keep posting? You've said a bunch of times, on both boards, that you are no longer supporting the Panthers. So you are not a fan, yet you still keep coming back to post negative things? I think there is a Marquette guy that does the same thing. Not a fan of the Panthers, yet can't help himself with coming on our message boards and crapping over everything.

Shorter Shaun: Go away, Fran.
    A panther is like a leopard. Except it hasn't been peppered.
    Should you behold a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch."
    Better yet, if called by a panther...don't anther (Ogden Nash "The Panther")

Ceterum censo Amanda Braun debet esse accensa.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast