Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Jordan

Anybody have an idea how $300k compares to the assistant salary pool at other league teams? D1 in general?

What kind of talent can you hire for that kind of money?
    A panther is like a leopard. Except it hasn't been peppered.
    Should you behold a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch."
    Better yet, if called by a panther...don't anther (Ogden Nash "The Panther")

Ceterum censo Amanda Braun debet esse accensa.

Staff salaries are hard to get details on. What we do know is that the $300k number is just a little more than RJ was given ($288k), so it is probably not over the top money, but not a pittance either.

For reference, here is a link to all the Tournament coaches' salaries (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sala...ketball/coach/). I would note that the number reported for Vall is $350k plus bonuses, which is about 50 of 64 on this list, and about the same as UNC-Wilmington and Stephen F. Austin.

As for assistants, take a look at this GlassDoor data. Interesting to see some of the averages in the list itself (the aggregate is worthless, IMO). http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/assistant-basketball-coach-salary-SRCH_KO0,26.htm

Oregon Women's Basketball Assistant: $110,000 (ave of 2) = total of 2 would be $220,000. That is Pac 12 Women, mind you.
    Northwestern Men's Basketball Assistant: $89,661 (ave of 5) = total of 5 would be $448,305. And that is a low end number in the Big 10 I am sure.

My take? I don't think $300k is a huge investment, as far as the industry goes. For Milwaukee, it is an increase, but probably not much more than the old staff would have been paid if they had been retained, after annual increases.

Looks to me like we just rolled over the old budget into the new coach and really haven't increased spend here at all....well, except for the money going to the buyout, of course, which does nothing for the program. Vall is making a bit less than RJ was, but not much, and the staff spend is a wash.

Another "sideways" move, I guess.
    Class of 1998
    Lubar School of Business - BBA Management Information Systems
    Formerly known as Nighthawk
    The Dark Hawk arose in a time of great turmoil to fight for truth, justice and the Panther way.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrapheap View Post
    Anybody have an idea how $300k compares to the assistant salary pool at other league teams? D1 in general?

What kind of talent can you hire for that kind of money?
    My source at Detroit says McCallum's replacement pool will have over $1 million - $500,000 for the head coach (they believe it will be Bacari Alexander) and over $500,000 for the assistants and support staff.

I know of three guys who would take pretty low money to get on this staff, but I haven't met Coach Vall yet so I can't be sure.

Tom Pipines*‏@pipspicks

Excited 2 visit with @LaVall_Jordan @MKEPanthers men's B'ball coach #FOX 6 SPORTS BLITZ 2nite 10:35 hope you'll join @tvvfoxsix yours truly
    March Madness starts in November

UWM's new basketball coach putting pieces in place

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panth...375808751.html
    March Madness starts in November

Man....feel for the guy....this has to be the most difficult D1 staff to build in the history of D1 staffs.
    Class of 1998
    Lubar School of Business - BBA Management Information Systems
    Formerly known as Nighthawk
    The Dark Hawk arose in a time of great turmoil to fight for truth, justice and the Panther way.

Come to Milwaukee! The fans are in an uproar, the players are running for the exits and the administration will stand behind you just as long as there's a cliff right in front of you. But hey -- at least you'll be in a one bid league. And you better get that bid, buddy boy.

By the way, intramural paintball gets the gym at 2:30 so clean up those towels, dammit!
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

We need to protect LaVall Jordan and his staff. Everyone needs to keep pushing, and keep pushing as loudly as possible. This is the only way we can enact real change.

How does that work when any financial support gets controlled by the admin?

It's a fantasy to think that he will be allowed to coach without interference. People don't change. Good luck to him.
    "She would constantly try to throw [Coach Jeter] off and create distractions," said another source who worked in the athletic department and no longer is at UWM. "All the time. It was bad. I felt bad for him all the time. I told him, 'You're a bigger man than I am.' It was brutal. Sabotage was in the cards." -- From the JS story, March 17, 2016

"Baldwin! Get in here and grovel!" "Right away Ms. B!!"

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789