Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Tournament - Marquette Alumni Team

Buycks playing like its a pick up game

Survive!
    March Madness starts in November

Fun game, Marquette came back from a 15-point second half deficit to win it on three Dwight Buycks free throws with under a second left. Buycks with 27 to lead the team, Joe Chapman was our best post defender and drilled 6 long range shots. Need Jamil to get in there for some size. Sparty is up next.

They showed a lot of heart. Playing with no size and down 2 guys.

Great atmosphere...sounded like a Depaul MU game in Chicago.

Chapman may not have had as many points as Buycks, but he sure was our most efficient offensive player... Loved the grit and toughness though, reminded me of what our current team is missing.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Jamil had a game with the Lakers on Friday night in Vegas. That was their last game, so I would think he could make it for tomorrow. They could use Jamil's length, rebounding and defense in the post.

I caught the last few minutes of the first half and the 2nd half. Exciting game and great pro-MU crowd.

Derrick gave them some big minutes in the second half when Chapman and Jerel were in foul trouble.

Fischer, Cheatham, Sacar, D Wilson and Carter were in the stands and cheering the "We are Marquette" chant during the comeback, I'll get the YouTube link tomorrow. Was a fun atmosphere and pretty loud for both teams.

Cam was there as well.

Another thing last night showed was the importance of playing as a team. Hoopville was made up of guys that never played D1 ball. One guy who was drafted into the NBA out of D2. Also, their dominant big man, Rico Hill, was 39 years old. But they played as a team and were smart basketball players. Marquette was able to out-talent them in the end, using quickness to force turnovers and get to the rim, but on paper you'd have expected it to be a landslide in our favor, with three NBA players on the floor, all D1 players, and European pros.

Hope Jamil is able to play today, as Sparty has a size advantage. Neither Raymar Morgan nor Derrick Nix played yesterday for them, so their two main bigs may not be around today either. Both of those two play in Europe currently.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast