Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bo Ryan doesn't make Basketball Hall of Fame

Bo Ryan doesn't make Basketball Hall of Fame

But Tom Izzo did....

from JSOnline:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badge...374494571.html

No Potrykus byline and it Doesn't say who wrote the article.... hmmmm
    Last edited by russguss; 04-04-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Not many "modern" college coaches have gotten in without a D1 national championship. Lou Carnesecca, Ray Meyer (who inexplicably got in in 1979 while it took Al until 1992), and Guy Lewis are examples. I think Bo is a good coach, but does he reach *that* level good?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Not many "modern" college coaches have gotten in without a D1 national championship. Lou Carnesecca, Ray Meyer (who inexplicably got in in 1979 while it took Al until 1992), and Guy Lewis are examples. I think Bo is a good coach, but does he reach *that* level good?
    Good point Sultan. Rick Barnes may be very similar to Bo Ryan.

Barnes made the NCAA tourney his last 3 years at Clemson (he was there 4 years), and then 14 straight at Texas, including a final four and a couple elite 8s. Before taking over Tenn this past year he made the tourney in 19 of his last 20 years as head coach. Seems similar to Ryan, yet I don't consider Barnes a hall of famer.

He will probably get it ultimately, but its probably too early given that lack of a Div I championship. Those Div 3 championships will help him get in along with the two Final 4s.

He belongs in the HoF in my opinion. Too good for too long not to be

I guess it really depends how you want to classify a hall of famer, he certainly was consistently good for a very long time, was he great? for two years yes, but other than that he was just consistently good, which to me isn't a hall of famer...
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Bo is carrying a little baggage right now. Not a palatable choice until some time has passed. Besides, who would be the woman behind the man?

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Besides, who would be the woman behind the man?
    Never stop recruiting, hey?

yes

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    yes
    Would you think Rick Barnes is hall of fame level?
    What about Bob Huggins. He has taken teams to two final fours and two elite eight appearances (2) at two different schools. A run of 19 out of 20 years making the big dance while coaching 3 different teams.

Bo coached 16 years at the D1 level if you don't include this year. In those 16 D1 seasons, he made it past the Sweet 16 3 times.

Without a D1 national title, and advancing past the sweet 16 just 3 times, that to me doesn't really seem like a hall of fame resume. Maybe I am not giving credit to D3 coaching, but normally hall of fame is not because you did well at the D3 level.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast