Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vander's NBA dreams

I may be wrong, but if memory serves, very, very few fans on either this board or Dodds's board had anything negative to say about Vander as a person when he opted for the NBA draft.

Many, including me, questioned the wisdom of his decision and expressed the opinion that he was making a huge mistake and predicted he would not be drafted. Many also lamented the impact on MU for the upcoming season.

But, in general, posters's attitudes seemed to be that it was his life and therefore his decision, and almost all wished him well.

There was some speculation by a small percentage of posters that he was not all that interested in continuing the lifestyle of a college student - i.e. continuing to take classes, but that is very different from trashing the kid.

I doubt there is anyone on this board, or JD's board, who is not pulling for Vander to make it to the NBA and hopefully have a productive career.

From a strictly MU hoops perspective, I don't think there is any question that had Vander stayed for his senior season, that the Warriors would have extended their consecutive string of NCAA invitations to nine. MU would probably have ended up at least 13-5 in the league instead of 9-9 as four losses were either in overtime, double-overtime, or on the last possession of regulation.

But that's water under the proverbial bridge.

The kid had a dream to play in the NBA and he achieved it. I think Buzz and most fans were concerned with his choice from a timing and business sense, and they were proved right: He would have been in better draft position for guaranteed money if he waited. He is having a monster year and I hope he gets more than a cup of coffee in the future as he has worked hard.

I also think he finished his course work out of loyalty to his mom and Buzz (APR), and in spite of the two headed Administration d-wads micromanaging Buzz at the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12