Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice start to the 2016 non conference schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    That was one of my thoughts. That, and maybe the idea of extending the deal to more than just two years.

I like the idea of playing schools out west, and wouldn't mind adding another like USC or ASU, and UNLV on a regular basis so we always have at least one game out west.

A lot of kids like Howard at Findlay Prep makes trying to get UNLV on the schedule pretty inviting for a lot of teams.
    Not a bad road trip for fans either.
    I too like to see more games scheduled on the West Coast even though I no longer lived there. I remember, during the 15 years I lived in San Diego, haing the opportunity to see Marquette play vs. Loyola Marymonut (Los Angles), USF (San Francisco) and UNLV. As I stated, in another thread, I think it would be a good idea if the Big East and West Coanference worked out an arrangment similar to the one the Big East has with the Big 10 and/or SEC. The schools in the WCC are similar to the Big East in that they are all private, predominantly Catholic (exceptions are BYU (obviously), Pepperdine and Pacific) and while they have some weak teams (like University of San Diego) those games would still be more productive than Grambling or Maine.

Personally, I would love to see them schedule a home and home down this way with Georgia, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest or South Carolina. Hell why not add Georgia State; even if you have to give them a return game it give you a chance to gain exposure in a major high school basketball hotbed (Atlanta).

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    Personally, I would love to see them schedule a home and home down this way with Georgia, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest or South Carolina.
    I too would love to see MU and South Carolina in a H & H - bring back memories of Al going against his kind of mentor Frank - loved watching those games way back on on TVS I think. Alex English and I'm trying to remember their guard who thought he was Pete Maravich - forget his name. Or am I thinking of Louisville?

Frank Martin would be a fun guy to hate as well.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 5m5 minutes ago

Xavier and Colorado will begin a home and home series next December in Boulder, source told @CBSSports. Return game at Cintas in 17-18.

With two BE and Pac12 match-ups now, is Fox helping arrange it?

I would like to see some creative scheduling using the Big East and West Coast teams using the Fox Sports network.

Call it East v. West and maybe even have games on a weekend during the conference season.

You could even bill it as East v. West Big City Basketball, as both the Big East and Pac 12 have a number of teams in or very close to NBA cities.

I don't think you need a full conference v. conference challenge, but grab what you project to be very good teams and schedule a weekend of games with Fox Sports setting it up.

It's virtually impossible to do games with Pac 12 teams during conference play because of their packed schedule and travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    It's virtually impossible to do games with Pac 12 teams during conference play because of their packed schedule and travel.
    Yes, don't see that happening either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    MU played Wake Forest in '03 mid-conference play for both teams. Where there is a will there is a way. Goose is right, the league should and needs to do something creative - the Big East has fallen far short on the creative side in its 3 seasons IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MulliganMusings View Post
    I too like to see more games scheduled on the West Coast even though I no longer lived there. I remember, during the 15 years I lived in San Diego, haing the opportunity to see Marquette play vs. Loyola Marymonut (Los Angles), USF (San Francisco) and UNLV. As I stated, in another thread, I think it would be a good idea if the Big East and West Coanference worked out an arrangment similar to the one the Big East has with the Big 10 and/or SEC. The schools in the WCC are similar to the Big East in that they are all private, predominantly Catholic (exceptions are BYU (obviously), Pepperdine and Pacific) and while they have some weak teams (like University of San Diego) those games would still be more productive than Grambling or Maine.

Personally, I would love to see them schedule a home and home down this way with Georgia, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest or South Carolina. Hell why not add Georgia State; even if you have to give them a return game it give you a chance to gain exposure in a major high school basketball hotbed (Atlanta).
    Marquette did schedule Wake Forest in '03. That was an unusually tough schedule. But the point is, it was one of the quality home-and-home games that year. I do not see the conference series with the WCC happening or making sense. It locks up another non-conference game for everybody (or most of the league anyway) every year. And it is not that the WCC has some weak teams. It has about three good ones and a bunch of also-rans. Playing LMU or USD or USF just does not do much for your schedule. Yes, better than Grambling, but we are not going on the road to play Grambling, and even if we were, Grambling is a lot closer than the WCC. It makes sense to do that kind of series with the Big ?, because you are almost certain to get an opponent that is at least not bad, (nobody wants to play Rutgers,) but I do not see it with the WCC.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast