Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Departures

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Bruce View Post
    He obviously was going to be bought out regardless of result, what are you talking about?
    If Pitt or Saint Louis were interested in hiring Jeter as their Head Coach, they would be paying the buyout. If somebody else is interested in paying to get rid of the coach you don't want anymore, you let them give you money instead of giving money away (see: Vanderbilt)

Players are waiting until after the hire is made. I'd make a guess as to who stays but it's almost impossible without knowing the events of the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    And by the way, parkerj, what exactly would constitute a "step down" right now? Any school that isn't an active dumpster fire might well be a step UP.
    Chicago State, for one

But honestly, any lower level conference where even the top teams are still a while away from paying their coaches >200 grand. I don't necessarily think Milwaukee's heading for a dumpster fire (though if our next coach was on that list that came out earlier this week...yikes)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Lemke View Post
    Players are waiting until after the hire is made. I'd make a guess as to who stays but it's almost impossible without knowing the events of the next couple weeks.
    That's good. It just stood out to me that both guys tweeted out the message from Poneman and neither corrected him.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerj View Post
    Chicago State, for one

But honestly, any lower level conference where even the top teams are still a while away from paying their coaches >200 grand. I don't necessarily think Milwaukee's heading for a dumpster fire (though if our next coach was on that list that came out earlier this week...yikes)
    You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel - few head coaches make under 175k

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Lemke View Post
    You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel - few head coaches make under 175k
    In terms of base salary, Scott Nagy makes 150 grand for a South Dakota State team that's finished first or second in the Summit 5 years in a row. Most of the Summit seems to be in that range or lower. I would imagine the conferences whose champions need conference tournament upsets elsewhere to avoid 16-seeds are in the same boat.

I will say that after looking at it for a bit, his best bet is probably going to be as a Power Conference assistant, because nobody at that level in the midwest is likely to be hiring and many schools outside the MW may be hesitant to bring in a guy who has only ever coached in that area (though Chicago connection could be appealing)

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say BBF.

Here's a list of potential suitors for Akeem. If he leaves, I wouldn't have any trouble rooting for him at several of those schools

If that's what he's saying, not sure why he's directing that here, or towards me.

Why would anyone be "salty" if the former coaches go on and have success somewhere else?

Well, except maybe the current AD.

I wasn't directing anything at you personally, hart.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast