Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Departures

Oh, I agree Milwaukee's not heading for a dumpster fire. We're already there.

All I want for our guys is that they be in a position to succeed. I have utterly no confidence that will occur at Milwaukee. No matter who the coach is, you are talking about a program where the administration is willing to sabotage the chance for success to enable their own ambitions. Fool me once, shame on you.

That said, the ties that bind are very strong. Of course I could understand the guys wanting to continue to play together. If they do, so be it and I hope they do well finishing as Panthers.

But take Jordy as an example. His choice right now is to play for a coach he doesn't know, for an administration openly hostile to the program's success, in a league that has made repeated bad decisions. OR -- he could transfer to any number of high major programs that would be thrilled to have him for a year after he sits out next year. There has been speculation about him possibly going to Wisconsin. I have no idea if there is anything to that. But just imagine it. UW's starting point, Koenig, graduates next year. If Jordy went to Madison and sat out, in the 17-18 season he would be given the keys to a Ferrari. Can you imagine what he would do with Happ, Van Vliet, Thomas, Hill, Illikainen, Iverson, Pritzl and Kobe King around him? Would that be bitter for Panther fans? Sure, but it would be awesome for Jordy. Let's be honest -- at Milwaukee Jordy has maybe a 25% chance of playing in the tournament. I'm probably being ridiculously optimistic with that figure. At UW he'd have a near 100% chance, with a team with an opportunity to go deep. And I'm only talking about Wisconsin because I know their situation and there has already been public speculation. Can you doubt there are probably many opportunities like that available to him?

Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    Oh, I agree Milwaukee's not heading for a dumpster fire. We're already there.
    We'll agree to disagree there, though the hire is pretty pivitol and I'm not optimistic right now.

All I want for our guys is that they be in a position to succeed. I have utterly no confidence that will occur at Milwaukee. No matter who the coach is, you are talking about a program where the administration is willing to sabotage the chance for success to enable their own ambitions. Fool me once, shame on you.
    I can't imagine Amanda would sabotage the next coach. This hire is on her and she spent almost a half a million extra to get it done now. If it goes up in flames, she's putting herself in a very bad spot.

Can you doubt there are probably many opportunities like that available to him?

Not at all, look at Akeem's list!!!

I literally don't understand how any coach could walk into this situation and think "Oh, but I'm special -- it will be different for me."

That's the definition of blind optimism -- and foolishness.

Because Jeter wasn't her hire. If he "fails", that's on Bud. If this coach fails, it's on Braun. The extra money she forked over to make this hire only amplifies the need for it to be successful.

That's a nice theory. Here's an alternate theory: there's always someone else to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    I don't think anyone associated with the program -- coaches OR players -- WANT to continue at Milwaukee under the circumstances. The only way any of the assistants would do that, I think, would be out of economic necessity. It's obviously harder for the players, who have to think about eligibility issues also. It's absolutely cruel that any of them who might want a fresh start at a school that actually supports its program might have to give up a year of eligibility or even just wait a year. And I suspect that if it were up to this administration, they'd be just as happy to see them all leave if they could figure out a way to field a team without them.

Which brings us to what surely must be a key consideration for our AD as she surveys the potential carnage her intemperate and unnecessary decision has left behind: she needs to find a coach who either has the chance of convincing players to stay, or of being able to bring in a boatload of new players very quickly. If he can do the former (and assuming, of course, that Jordy is one of the players willing to stay), there is at least a chance for the team to finish above the bottom half of the league next year. If he must do the later, look out below. The likelihood of getting a large cohort of D1 worthy players at the last minute is negligible. Moreover, it would naturally raise questions as to whether the recruiting philosophy will suddenly be allowed to change here, for the benefit of "Amanda's guy." Anyone know if Walter Waters still has any eligibility?
    A bit off topic, but I was all set to make a reply to BBF's post featuring such names as James Douglas, Peter Karle, Jon Brown and the Big O himself, Olivier De Smedt, when I came across this link while looking up the spelling of his name - http://www.horancares.com/obituary/O...ood-CO/1448112

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123