Thread: "We're going to push the pace. We're going to play fast and attack."

"We're going to push the pace. We're going to play fast and attack."

That's a quote from LJ per the JS. Sound familiar to anyone? I love how new young coaches so often say stuff like this. The casual fans lap it up, as though it is either 1) a good idea or 2) actually likely to happen.

Now don't get me wrong -- I know it's necessary for new coaches to play to the crowd at events like this, and I'm sure he's smart enough to have taken his cues from his new boss -- someone he will be looking over his shoulder for constantly, if he's half as smart as he appears. And I have come to see that his new boss understands men's basketball about as much as the beer-battered amateur coaches who make the most noise in every arena. So I don't fault him for this. But here's an idea: let's look at the facts. And the facts very, very strongly suggest that unless our utterly dysfunctional administration just hired a new coach who not only has no head coaching experience but also plans to coach a style completely different than any he has ever played or coached previously, this is just fiddle-faddle.

LJ has been on three staffs: Butler, Iowa and Michigan.

Here's the tempo (out of 351 D1 teams) played by those three teams while he was on staff, courtesy of Ken Pomeroy:

Butler

03-04: 324
    04-05: 327
    06-07: 326
    06-07: 332

Yikes.

Iowa:

07-08: 333
    08-09: 341
    09-10: 321

Double yikes.

Now, admittedly, he then went to coach with John Beilein, who as we all know plays up-tempo, run and gun, racehorse basketball. Amirite?

Michigan:

10-11: 323
    11-12: 329
    12-13: 210
    13-14: 334
    14-15: 341
    15-16: 299

Yep, those maize and blue weasels motored at an average tempo of 306 out of 351 teams, making them all sorts of faster than Butler (327) and Iowa (331)!

By way of comparison the slowest tempo any of Rob's teams ever played was this season -- 264. His average tempo in 11 years? 143!

Now I happen to believe that there is nothing as beautiful or effective as an efficient offense played at a measured tempo, so frankly I hope that LJ coaches exactly in the same style as he has learned in his years as an assistant. Those Beilein offenses are slow, slow, slow -- just like Wisconsin's -- but they are also nearly as efficient. And by the way, do you know what Rob's best offense was, by far? Last year, when he slowed his tempo more than he ever had. Did that "slow" tempo bother you or did you appreciate the efficient scoring?

But if you are looking for a return to anything resembling the Pearl style, the evidence says it's not happening.

The pace is of secondary concern to me, if the Panthers are winning.

But i agree those comments seem to be part of the ritual of hiring a new coach, and that it is silly.
    A panther is like a leopard. Except it hasn't been peppered.
    Should you behold a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch."
    Better yet, if called by a panther...don't anther (Ogden Nash "The Panther")

Ceterum censo Amanda Braun debet esse accensa.

No one here is saying that this is a bad hire, but it certainly is a strange one.

Quote Originally Posted by dylanrocks View Post
    No one here is saying that this is a bad hire, but it certainly is a strange one.
    Indeed, Coach Val looks to be almost exactly what Rob Jeter was in 2005. As everyone knows, I'm a HUGE supporter of Rob Jeter - so I think LaVall Jordan is a GREAT hire!