Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Candidates

Pat Miller was not a candidate for our open position. Ask Amanda.

If you're Tom Billeter, why would you choose Milwaukee over SDSU? Money, maybe - we know the next coach will make considerably less than Rob Jeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Lemke View Post
    Meaning that he didn't apply, or didn't show up on the consultant's radar?
    A panther is like a leopard. Except it hasn't been peppered.
    Should you behold a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch."
    Better yet, if called by a panther...don't anther (Ogden Nash "The Panther")

Ceterum censo Amanda Braun debet esse accensa.

Quote Originally Posted by Skrapheap View Post
    Meaning that he didn't apply, or didn't show up on the consultant's radar?
    No and No.

Pat Miller applied AND showed up on the consultant's radar.

No and No.

Pat Miller applied AND showed up on the consultant's radar.
    Well, then this is all just one big Bungle in the Jungle.

-- signed Ian Anderson

Jimmy, any other updates on the names that have been floating around? I dont want to get a case of that awful foot in mouth disease...

Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    Webster has had no association with the UW for over 20 years. There are a lot of problems with this coaching change, but that would be absolutely the least of them.
    I always respect what you have to say BBF, but all you have to do is peruse Webster's rather limited Twitter account to see that his Badger ties are definitely there. You have also always been up front with your split loyalties, so I wouldn't expect for our concerns to be the same on the subject.
    Last edited by MayorCK; 04-04-2016 at 02:35 PM.

I don't twit so would never see something like that. But really, what difference does it make? The only times Tracy Webster has been on the Madison campus the last 20 years have probably been as an opposing coach. With the exception of Howard Moore, he has no direct connection to anyone who has coached there since before Dick Bennett was hired. I get that some people don't want another coach out of the "Bo tree" (because that guy didn't know how to coach, I guess?) but Webster obviously is not. If anything he's out of the Gene Keady tree -- Bruce Weber, Matt Painter and Cuonzo Martin. I have no idea how good a coach Tracy will be if hired but I have tremendous respect for Keady and his disciples. They play tough, hard nosed, defensive basketball, but with a dash more playground flair and willingness to attack than you see in the Bennett and Bo styles. Which, by the way, is an almost exact description of how Rob Jeter coached, but let's not go there.

I'm with the people who don't want anyone from the Bo tree, but I obviously take it a step further. I would rather not have anyone with any ties to Madison, period. Plainly, I don't see how it can have a positive effect on the program.

We've already seen what having a dyed- in-the-wool Marquette Warrior (Ric Cobb, for those not aware) as head coach did to this program.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorCK View Post
    I'm with the people who don't want anyone from the Bo tree, but I obviously take it a step further. I would rather not have anyone with any ties to Madison, period. Plainly, I don't see how it can have a positive effect on the program.

We've already seen what having a dyed- in-the-wool Marquette Warrior (Ric Cobb, for those not aware) as head coach did to this program.
    Ric Cobb had 7 years as an AAU coach and one as Antrim's assistant before he took over as head coach. Comparing him to an assistant who has been at Kentucky, Illinois, Purdue, Ball State, DePaul, Nebraska, Tennessee and Cal is just being unfair. He just pulled in a top 5 national recruiting class for 2015. That's incredible at Cal.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast