Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Candidates

If it really is Webster, I can't honestly be more disappointed or less surprised.

The people that run this university can't help themselves when it comes to sucking Madison's hind tit.

Webster has had no association with the UW for over 20 years. There are a lot of problems with this coaching change, but that would be absolutely the least of them.

If it is Webster, and the roster stays as is, if he does not have 20 wins and at least reach the Horizon League Tournament Semifinal, is the season a disapointment? The bar was set in the firing....doesn't he need to reach that level at a minimum?

And I really do not want to hear about "not his team" or other excuses.

When you fire someone, you do so because the next guy up is better, and he should produce immediately. You do not fire someone to hire the same, or worse.

Thoughts?
    Class of 1998
    Lubar School of Business - BBA Management Information Systems
    Formerly known as Nighthawk
    The Dark Hawk arose in a time of great turmoil to fight for truth, justice and the Panther way.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkHawkReturns View Post
    If it is Webster, and the roster stays as is, if he does not have 20 wins and at least reach the Horizon League Tournament Semifinal, is the season a disapointment? The bar was set in the firing....doesn't he need to reach that level at a minimum?

And I really do not want to hear about "not his team" or other excuses.

When you fire someone, you do so because the next guy up is better, and he should produce immediately. You do not fire someone to hire the same, or worse.

Thoughts?
    I think that would be unfair to Webster (or whoever the next coach is). But you'll see who in our community is full of **** - because they'll be heaping all the accolades on the successor if he wins, saying 'not his fault' if he loses.

Remember, this is Amanda Braun's guy now. Her job is tied to his. So she's going to pull out all the stops to prove that she was right to fire Jeter and hire the new coach. I mean if she doesn't, it's going to be real easy to see she's the problem.

If it is Webster - I don't think disappointment is the word I'd use to describe the hire....it would be frustration. Seems like the exact same thing we did with Jeter and the end of his tenure was as ugly as it could be. Like others have state, this is totally on Braun and for her to do a RJ 2.0 is actually infuriating and makes zero sense.

Any of the other names floating around would make more sense...this hire would just seem odd...and smells of something fishy...

If Tracy is hired I doubt there's anything fishy about it at all. I think it just shows what the candidate pool was like. Amazingly, a program facing a firestorm of criticism in a state system choking down budget cuts with angry donors fleeing and an AD who just fired a highly respected guy in the coaching community -- in a one-bid league -- is not exactly considered a plum opportunity! Who knew?

I emphasized the one-bid issue because putting aside the horrendous mess the AD made of Rob Jeter's firing, that factor looms very large right now. Any coaching candidate out there probably watched Valpo in the NIT and OU in the Vegas and asked himself "why aren't these teams in the NCAA tournament?" Good question with a simple answer: it's because we are in a league that has descended to the point of near irrelevance. While our commissioner cuts pizza deals to bury the conference tournament in an empty wreck of an arena in the region's least attractive city, the member schools have received no help whatsoever in tackling the issue that is really holding us back: scheduling!

I agree with you. Which is why I think the other names that have been floating around (Billeter and Miller in particular) make much more sense because of the issues you raised. Wouldn't a coach from D2(3) that is itching for a D1 job be more willing and enthused to take a job such as ours? and wouldn't our AD be inclined to seek a coach such as that? One that would bring an energy and passion to the program because it's a chance to prove themselves at the highest level - albeit in the HL? I don't know...just seems like Webster doesn't fit the type of coach I was expecting the AD to search for. I may be wrong about that but again, with our current AD in place; we're in for a bunch of surprises!

Don't assume that the coaches you mentioned would actually take the job if offered.

Billeter will get his shot in D1....either this off-season or the next. He knows that. I bet he is on the short list at SDSU as we speak. He would feel no rush to jump at Milwaukee just BECAUSE it's D1...there is much going on that would make the D1 part sort of irrelevant. If he doesn't get SDSU, another school with less....um....baggage is sure to come calling.

The pool we dealt with was apparently quite limited....some of the imitations appeared to be by choice which irritates me to no end, but the vast majority of that limitation was due to the aforementioned "baggage" (read: dumpster fire).

This is what happens when you fire a respected coach simply because you - don't like him/didn't hire him/need to prove you have "big boy pants" on - without making a legitimate case to the right people BEFORE you do it. Those people get really pissed, and you end up having to pick from less than the best because you made a mess.
    Class of 1998
    Lubar School of Business - BBA Management Information Systems
    Formerly known as Nighthawk
    The Dark Hawk arose in a time of great turmoil to fight for truth, justice and the Panther way.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast