Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by uwm97 View Post
    Goodman is tweeting that Webster is looking like the guy. Outside of the fact that he's been an assistant at like 15 different universities and can recruit at Cal, what does anyone know about him? I'd have preferred Miller, Billeter or Jackson, but It looks like another assistant will be running this program.
    In addition to everything else I believe and fear about this situation, this is EXACTLY right.

If you were going to pull the pin now, why wouldn't you hire someone with a proven track record as a head coach, as the A.D. stated in her press release announcing Rob's termination?

In fact, I have plenty of good friends who have long pushed for this move who won't be happy with the hire.

This just doesn't pass the look or smell test.
    Last edited by dylanrocks; 04-03-2016 at 02:37 PM.

It doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. It'd be perhaps different if the guy was with a specific coach for five or 10 years - Webster's bounced around about as much as as a guy could his age. That makes me skeptical. And again, what's his coaching style? CAN he coach? It's mind-boggling.

If you were going to do this, Billeter or Miller was the logical move.

They weren't bringing in a white guy as the next coach.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    I'f race played any part in either including or excluding the coaching decision, everyone involved should be immediately fired, from the chancellor on down.

In the political correct world that some want to move in, race is a factor. Not that I said the I'm going to on wash my mouth out with soap.
    March Madness starts in November

Personally I hope we do hire an AA coach. There are plenty who are highly qualified. The only question is whether we will hire the right guy. Since we are clearly looking at a B-list of applicants that will be a crapshoot.

Fire, aim, ready. It's the Milwaukee way.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    "I thought you said you was bringin' a white boy home! I don't see a white boy! I see a damn fool!"

Scott Nagy, at no point, was a candidate for Milwaukee. That should tell you everything you need to know about the coaching search.

Tracy Webster is fine. Lavall Jordan is fine. Billeter is fine. This is a good list. There are just going to be question marks with all the candidates because the pool of potential coached isn't the level that it could have been. Why? I think everyone knows that by now.

Instead of a coach who is a proven winner over a sustained period of time at a lower level (low-major or lower division), you have question marks.

That's fine - I think these guys are all good coaches. But if the point was to hire someone who would be obviously better than Rob Jeter, this pool doesn't fit the bill. Scott Nagy would have been there.

I also wonder who would work for the lower salary? I know some of these high-major assistants are making more than they would as head coach here.

All in all, I will likely be happy with the hire. I just don't expect the fans of this program to be happy; you fire Rob Jeter because you've got an ace up your sleeve. You don't fire Rob Jeter to bring in someone with question marks.

It's fairly obvious that the handling of the Rob Jeter firing adversely affected this search; apart from salary (we don't know what the new coaches will make), the Wright State job has a practice facility and a bigger in-arena fan base. Milwaukee has the potential roster - potential because all of these kids are giving the next coach a chance - to be much better than Wright State, which is going through an off season roster turnover like ours from spring 2006. They have a lot of their talent graduating.

This is the result. Untested assistant coaches or former/current head coaches with marginal or fleeting success.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast