Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Candidates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am not terribly concerned about where our players are coming from. I am concerned that we are getting the best players we can. Jeter had his hits and his misses. I would prefer more hits the next time around.

In order to do that, we need them to know they will not share the equivalent of a high school field house with intramural sports and clubs, along with perhaps not taking every road trip possible on a bus. Right now this is a tougher place to sell than it needs to be.

Having current players tell the world they do not trust the AD only makes that whole thing worse.

All of these issues are within our power to correct....the question is will we or will the next coach have to deal with these handicaps as well?

Rob and his staff had no problem recruiting City players. But there are only a few MPS players a year who are D1 quality, and the further sad truth is that many of them have great difficulty qualifying. I know specifically of high profile MPS guys that we simply couldn't look at -- but who were admitted elsewhere. I will also say that I personally believe that inasmuch as one of the core missions of our University is to be an access institution, our sports teams should not be held to an artificially high standard in that respect.

But if a new coach is able to recruit more kids from the City, I can pretty much guarantee that means that new coach will be getting an accommodation that Rob was not allowed.

Me too. I know a great candidate who can do that. Top assistant and a terrific recruiter at a winning program who has deep contacts throughout the midwest and especially in Iowa and Illinois. His name is Cha... oh, wait.

I hate to be "this guy" who refuses to let go of the past, but what if Bruce Pearl wanted his old job back? Auburn is DEFINITELY a harder place to win than Milwaukee. How much is he getting paid? Probably not too much more than we could offer him. And his job security? Even with Amanda Brain at the helm, I would think this place is more secure than the revolving door at Auburn. Being at the back end of a football school/conference can't be his dream job.

There is zero chance we could compete with Auburn financially and zero chance we would be interested even if we could. Even as messed up as our program is, I would bet my house on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buppie05 View Post
    How much is he getting paid? Probably not too much more than we could offer him.
    2.2 million/year, so ~10x what we're likely to be paying our next coach. His buyout alone is 1.1 million.

Kaylon Williams went to bat for Lavall Jordan on Twitter

Lavall Jordan and Tracy Webster have interviewed today, I've heard from multiple sources.

I really don't like the idea of a Bulldog or a Badger running our program, but Jordan and Webster are dynamite recruiters. As much of a recruiter as Jeter was touted, he never brought the #1 recruiting class to Wisconsin like Webster just did at Cal.

There's no way anyone could make the argument that either Tracy or Lavall are fundamentally different candidates than Rob was at the time he was hired. The only difference is that Rob now has years of head coaching experience and had taken teams to the tournament. Hey, weren't those some of her criteria for a new coach?

Basically we are seeng that this whole sordid affair had utterly no purpose other than that she wanted Rob gone.

Trainwreck.

Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    There's no way anyone could make the argument that either Tracy or Lavall are fundamentally different candidates than Rob was at the time he was hired...

Basically we are seeng that this whole sordid affair had utterly no purpose other than that she wanted Rob gone.
    Yup.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast